New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Noob from GA, first Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Default Noob from GA, first Civic

Hey everyone! I just bought my first Civic yesterday, a '95 EX. This is our 3rd Honda - my wife traded her 02 Accord for an '07 Odyssey. I've driven the same '97 Pathfinder for 10 years now, and with gas prices on the way back up, I had to get something with better than 15MPG, so here I am.

I know nothing about the service history of this Civic, other than it's currently running now. The dealership I bought it from put a coil pack, dizzy, wires, and plugs in it, and that's all I know.

I can see there's a little oil around the motor, mostly on the underside of the distributor. It smokes just a little bit - I notice the smell when I turn the car off, and can see it just a little bit if I pop the hood as soon as I get out. It's coming from around the header area, but I can't pinpoint it because of the heat shield. I'd guess it's oil leaking, dripping on the header, and burning there.

Since I know nothing of the service history on this thing and it has 150k on the clock, I'm thinking about doing the head gasket. If I do that, I would also want to do the valve cover gasket and timing belt. Does this sound like the right course of action? If so, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

did you put a new o ring on the distributor when you changed it? Its a common issue and is really easy to fix.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, Shandles. I would assume that was done - I bought the car used from a Honda/Chrysler/Ford dealership near me. It was as-is, but when they took it in, it stopped cranking, so they did the work. I would assume their shop knew what they were doing, but then again, the dipstick wasn't actually in the tube when I got it!

Can I just pop it off and check it?