New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Default Timing Belt Replacement

I'm approaching 100K and does anyone know approximately how much the dealer will charge to have the timing belt replaced?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Timing Belt Replacement

too much, if you have the tools and skils required, its well worth the time to do the work yourself and save the $$$
dont forget, if your gonna tear that far into the engine, go ahead and do your self the favor and replace the water pump and timing idler, thier cheap compared to having to tear it apart again...
i can do a timing belt in a few hours if i have the parts laying there and ready..

Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

The dealer is going to want upwards of $700.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

wha tkinda special tools ya mean?

i got my timing belt and water pump now.... ive been wanting to check the local honda dealership BUT if they want over 300bucks to swap em im just gonna try it myself... i think i can do it BUT it will be a first so migh tbe a problem...

Old 03-04-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

no one said anything about any kind of special tools, just basic hand and normal shop tools.. the one thing that you are gonna have to have is a mighty powerfull impact tho.. getting that crank bolt out so you can get the crank pulley off and the lower cover off is nye-onna impossable without a good high torque impact... this is experience talking here, when i tried to do mine for the first time, i had a 3/4 breaker bar, a 3 foot chunk of pipe (cheater bar) and all i did was spin the engine, so i got to strap wrenches around the pulley and tried again... i broke the frikn pulley!!! and still didnt get that bolt out... seriously an air driven impact in the 1000ft-lb range is the only way to fly...
once you get that bolt out, you'll need someway to pull that pulley off....and the rest is gravey...

Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

anyone ever done a timing belt DIY.LOL

im preaty sure id have all the tools besides a wheel puller cause almost all of ours are so old and striped.... but i could rent one of those from autozone im preaty sure...

and how hard is it to pull the front axles? cause ive read that to change the alternator you have to pull it...
i figure id change the alternator at the same time with the timing belt and such...

i just wish honda had some type of world wide database of all important records.LOL
thiers 3 records thru my carfax report BUT it just says service facility.... so i have no idea if the belts ever been changed...

Old 03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

as far as the alt, i dont know about your car, but i dont have to pull mine to get my alt in and out... and yea autozone should hook you up with a puller, you could go elcheapo and find a harbor freight and just buy urself one, like 5-10.. its a cheapo, but it outta do the job...

may i inquire as to why ur chang'n the alt? dosent sound like its bad, just from the way u wrote it...

Old 03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

its not bad BUT my old 1200watt amp was worken it REALY HARD!!!!! and i plan on geting a 2K watt amp and swapen out my sub.... so might as well swap the alternator then when the side of the motor is opened up...

Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all your input. I know someone who works on european engines maybe he knows a thing or two about the Honda. I'll see.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

i'm about to do my 90,000 mile tune-up on my teg soon.

you seriously need to consider getting a honda pulley bolt removal tool. they're about $20 + shipping on amazon.com.

they're worth their weight in gold though. they hold the crank case pulley gear in place while you torque off the bolt. but be careful. the standard size pulley removal tool is 50 mm.

they work on most honda engines but not on some d-series engines. if you do have a d-series engine, then you may want to go the high-power impact wrench route.

btw, honda will probably charge you $800 or more if you have them replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and do the valve adjustments.

i'll be doing all of that myself soon, but it's worth it because if youre timing belt fails, then you're fuct.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement