Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

b20 vtec turbo

Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Default b20 vtec turbo

Hi everyone, just registered on the forum, i'm from portugal and bought recently a 96 civic si, i'm starting a project, going to buy a new engine, work on the bottom and top end of the engine.[/align]i want about 500whp, so i'll have a lot of work (€€€) to do.[/align]i was just wondering if someone could give some ideas on the block part, i am thinking on the b20 with a b16 head and turbo it, along with rods, pistons camshafts, valves, springs, all.[/align][/align]question is, will the b20 block be good for the project? what about the compression ratio on the pistons?[/align]i heard that b20 has a lot of low end torque, along with the turbo on the upper revs, guess it would be good..[/align][/align]any help is welcome!![/align]by the way, the forum looks real good![/align]thanks[/align]

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: b20 vtec turbo

thats a lot of work..but if you have THAT much money to spend. id go k20 instead of b20. but the choice is yours, either way keep us posted and best of luck!

perhaps k20 build and boost?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

B20/VTEC motors are great for boost if built properly. First, be aware that you'll need race gas and that your car will be a handfull if street driven. Get the block sleeved and get some pretty stout rods to start with, I suggest Pauter for you application. Lower compression pistons(around 9:1), like CP or some other big name company, will be required too. You'll also need some huge cams, a valve job, port job and a good ignition system. THEN...you get to start on the turbo system..

Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 PM

as for the k20 swap.. it's too expensive, for the complete swap, just the engine part,i can only get it for about 5000€, that's about 7000us. for the b20 block b16 head, some eagle rods, didn't knew "pauter", i'll see that too, maybe wiseco, skunkcamshafts, well, all internalsand turbo i can do it for about 3000€, i'm a student, have been saving to do this. [/align][/align]B20/VTEC motors are great for boost if built properly. First, be aware that you'll need race gas and that your car will be a handfull if street driven. Get the block sleeved and get some pretty stout rods to start with, I suggest Pauter for you application. Lower compression pistons(around 9:1), like CP or some other big name company, will be required too. You'll also need some huge cams, a valve job, port job and a good ignition system. THEN...you get to start on the turbo system.. [/align][/align]the gas it's 98 octane, the head will be port and polished, 3 angle valve job.[/align]pauter rods are better than eagle?[/align]what do you think msd ignitions, are any good?[/align]have read that low compretion pistons aren't always good.. is around 10,5:1 or 11:1 too much?[/align][/align]well i see that a lot of work and money to save has to be done!! [/align][/align]thanks![/align]

Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Yea, Pauter Rods are the strongest Honda rod to my knowledge. Low compression isnt necessary with a good tune, but recomended as you can generally run more boost with lower compresstion

Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Don't forget to sleeve the block and hondata or whatever the tunner is familiar with.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

Honestly you dont need the B20. You have either a D16Z6 or a D16Y8.......Im not sure, but both a greatmotors. Stick with that motor and cut your costs in at least half. A fully build SOHC motor can make great power. You say you want 500hp.......but I dont think you realize what that is when its in a honda. A 300whp civic would prob be more than you want...hell I bet you that 250whp would suit you just fine. I vote for a fully built D series motor.........and boost that. Now when I say fully built, Im not speaking like a typical "honda" owner and meaning rods and pistons...........im talkin sleeves, full bottom end build and a build head.......thicker headgasket, better oil pump blah blah....anything that might be weak gets replaced with stronger parts. Basically, overbuild the D series, this way you can always tune for higher boost.........D series engines perform great......they just need to be built properly and boosted with proper parts.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 PM
HCF Member

^^ Thank you! I couldnt have said it better myself ^^^

Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Pete

Honestly you dont need the B20. You have either a D16Z6 or a D16Y8.......Im not sure, but both a greatmotors. Stick with that motor and cut your costs in at least half. A fully build SOHC motor can make great power. You say you want 500hp.......but I dont think you realize what that is when its in a honda. A 300whp civic would prob be more than you want...hell I bet you that 250whp would suit you just fine. I vote for a fully built D series motor.........and boost that. Now when I say fully built, Im not speaking like a typical "honda" owner and meaning rods and pistons...........im talkin sleeves, full bottom end build and a build head.......thicker headgasket, better oil pump blah blah....anything that might be weak gets replaced with stronger parts. Basically, overbuild the D series, this way you can always tune for higher boost.........D series engines perform great......they just need to be built properly and boosted with proper parts.
[/align][/align]Thanks for the opinion, but since i'm about to buy, i'm going for a b engine, i wasn't shure was what to use, either a b18 or a b20, i think i'll choose the b20 cause they're cheaper around here, for the internals it's almost the same price for the fully built b16 or a b20, so that's why i'll maybe go for the b20 and get some more power there, and the head i can get it cheaper too. And since i already have a b on the car, i won't put there a d series engine! but hey, thanks anyway for your opinion! For the 500hp issue..have seen car's withabout 320-350hp, u can daily drive it very good, u just can take all the way till 8 or 9k!. ok.. maybe i'll low the hp for about.. 450-400hp [sm=smiley16.gif][/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 AM

you won't have to run race gas unless you are planning on boosting this thing somewhere past 20psi on a block w/ 9.5+ compression. or somewhere in that area. with a decent sized turbo like a 60 trim you'll be able to get 450-500 on 15-18psi but it's going to be expensive...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b20 vtec turbo