Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Default RE: Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler

why do u want that big of an intercooler? its goin to take alot of air to even fill that up then even more air to start filling cylinders up with boost pressure, i would go with a smaller FMIC like a 21"X 7"X 1 1/2-2 " fmic.

are you on the stock internals and what pressure are going to be going for?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM

^true, thats big unless your running some serious psi. Are you LOOKING to stay stock, or are you just trying to get ideas on different front ends. My car has a C-West2 front end, but i also like the way intercoolers look in drift, BC3, and R33 front ends on civics

[IMG]local://upfiles/11033/DCB5CB69AED344DD97175FED191B9067.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

then get a lip kit. Looks + Performance, what else you want?
if hes lowerd.... a mugen lip will sit at about 1 in. off the ground... (dependin gon his current ride hight) it was a little less for me when i was measuring. So, looks+performance+speed bump, elevation changing drive way, or road kill= cracked messed up lip, and maybey even the front bumper, which then the fragmats of plastic and furr could get into his FMIC, wich would = less looks, and performance.

just some things to think about. personally, i would just keep the stock one and cut it.
Uhhh..? I'm dropped pretty crazy and I rarely have any issues with my **** hitting the ground. I mean, some here and there, but my exhaust scrapes more than my front bumper ever has.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I figured it was a lil big when it came with the kit. But I can always ebay it and find something else! Right now I'm looking for 9-10psi w/stock internals, but my game plan is to upgrade internals later on and give myself play room to run bigger numbers eventually. Keep in mind it's a D16Y7 w/only about 70k on it, so it's resilient, but I don't have the ***** to put much more on it without upgrading internals.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Yeah that FMIC is definitely overkill for your app. I just assumed you had some big dog project in the works you were trying to keep secret. at 10psi max you're probably only putting down 220whp with a good tune, which is good, but I wouldn't get an FMIC rated for more than 250-300, which will probably be 6-8" tall, leaving you with some minor cuts to make to the bumper support

Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: t34me

^true, thats big unless your running some serious psi. Are you LOOKING to stay stock, or are you just trying to get ideas on different front ends. My car has a C-West2 front end, but i also like the way intercoolers look in drift, BC3, and R33 front ends on civics
Yeah i got the drift front bumper and theres a big ol' air dam in the front and lots of space for an intercooler in there. Look in my gallery for pics if you want.

And +1 for what Soviet said. Thats VERY bad if you have chunks of your ABS Plasic or Polyurethane bumper or lip kit getting ripped off and thrown into your intercooler. I dont think theres a guy on here that has a turbo and doesnt have it lowered.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

Yeah I figured it was a lil big when it came with the kit. But I can always ebay it and find something else! Right now I'm looking for 9-10psi w/stock internals, but my game plan is to upgrade internals later on and give myself play room to run bigger numbers eventually. Keep in mind it's a D16Y7 w/only about 70k on it, so it's resilient, but I don't have the ***** to put much more on it without upgrading internals.
i dont know if "resilient" is the word id use for the y7 block, more like "likely to blow up if you run more than 10psi

Old 12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: t34me

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

i dont know if "resilient" is the word id use for the y7 block, more like "likely to blow up if you run more than 10psi

lol true, but i have heard D series are really good with boost (responsive)

Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM

^not d in general, i mean just that particular motor, its kinda the red headed step child of d-series IMO.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

i thought you were only suppose to run at most 8 psi on stock internals AND be safe to drive for a while

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler