Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler

ORIGINAL: 99civicricer

i thought you were only suppose to run at most 8 psi on stock internals AND be safe to drive for a while
Someone needs to read the sticky on the top of the page.

Go big or go home. [8D]

Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 PM

"supposed to" yes, with a good tune
BUT, can run 10psi with a HELL of a good tune.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

lut
ORIGINAL: t34me

^not d in general, i mean just that particular motor, its kinda the red headed step child of d-series IMO.

thats what im rockin....

Old 12-08-2006, 07:53 PM

you can do 12 psi if you have a good headgasket and tune.... a friend of mine had a 96 4-door that he did a custom turbo kit at 12 psi for a year or so and he kept blowin head gaskets on it.. until it detontated and destroyied a piston. now its got internals at 10 psi to jus enjoy life so to speak. its not a crazy fastcar but its quick so.

by the way he did custom machining to make a ZC head work on it. the same guy is building my sleeved b16 motor

Old 12-09-2006, 12:22 AM

Yeah...

Forty, Pete... me thinks we need to put a filter on the word "PSI" because it seems to be an constantly misunderstood concept.

Saying "oh yeah you can run 10psi without blowing your engine" is extremely broad. Slap a GT35R on larger T3/T4 on there and 10psi translates to a LOT of power! Stock engines, mainly the rods, break because of power, NOT PSI!

At the same rate, it will take 16psi to make the same power out of a T25 turbo that 10psi would make on those larger turbo's. There is no set PSI, it's just suggested to run a low PSI so that you don't make more power than the engine can reliably handle, that is all!

Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 AM
HCF Member

Exactly.

By the way skytanker.......Just by lookin at youre intercooler I can tell you bought an SSAUTOCHROME kit......youre not going to use that turbo for real are you>?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, dude, I'm gonna use it. 'Bout the only part that I've kept or am going to keep is the turbocharger itself...I've already got rid of the old turbo mani and bought a better one off eBay, and now I figured out what I had been afraid of since I opened the box, that I need a smaller intercooler...(I was just afraid to ask...and get the answer I got here...hahaha!!!) And I don't plan on running the SSAUTO turbocharger for long...just for as long as it takes to get a higher quality one...and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I stress it too much...I've read the stories too!!! Shards of turbo + Engine = VERY BAD!!! But, I'm open to suggestions! If you have a cheap, lightly used turbocharger on hand, well, I'm listening!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

And I don't plan on running the SSAUTO turbocharger for long...just for as long as it takes to get a higher quality one...
Soooo you wasted money on a turbo that you weren't planning on using very long and then plan on getting the right turbo that you should have just saved for in the first place and been a little bit more patient with so that you wouldn't have wasted money instead of thinking you're saving and also not put your entire setup and engine into danger in order to save a few bucks which you claim you won't be really saving in the first place.

???

Old 12-09-2006, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

Thats a long *** sentence.

In skytankers defense, I think he bought this kit long before he knew what he was getting himself into......then he heard the horror stories about em, and tried getting rid of as much of it as possible.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 AM
HCF Member

SovXietday...um...ouch! That's pretty much how it is, with a lil bit of Pete's post mixed in! I bought it before all the hype about how "great" SSAUTOCRAP was... I sold the SSAUTO mani to an HCF member who was going to do testing on it to see how well it's welds and stuff held up, and the intercooler...well...you know. I'm planning on keeping the BOV and wastegate, I don't see why they should be sold! Thanks for the honest opinion, though!!!

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Bumper to Accomodate Intercooler