Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

driving in vaccum

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
HCF Member
Default driving in vaccum

so this kid i know used to have a built Talon TSI (he built it from pretty much nothing) and he was asking me about my build and if i was gonna turbo it and etc. so i told him i wanted a turbo that gave boost at about 4k RPM...he like fliped out and was like "why would you want to do that, you would be in vaccum the whole time you drive" and i was like "yea thats the point, no boost at crusing speeds"...is there anything harmfull about that? i dont think so because there was a civic in sport compact car that was like that. (red 5th gen) but i kinda wondered because he has a little more turbo experiance than i do...but he is also the one that tried to tell me that the first number in a tire size was the thickness 205/60/15. lol so i figured i would ask you guys.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: driving in vaccum

It's better for gas milage to have a turbo that doesn't spool until higher rpm because when your in boost it hurts your mpg so u dont want to drive around all the time with the turbo spooling.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Cat Fuсker

In my commute to work I rarely get out of vacuum. I only boost to sound the BOV at some hot chick criving a saab convertible.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

^ Saabs unite! haha

But again, low RPM boost/quick spooling turbos would be bad for your DD's MPG

Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Roto

In my commute to work I rarely get out of vacuum. I only boost to sound the BOV at some hot chick criving a saab convertible.
+1....thats what i was wondering...i know that a quick turbo like a t24 or t25 would be bad for MPG...that wasnt the question..it was WILL IT HURT IT. i didnt think it would but, im building a motor and im going to boost...now i didnt want to waste all that time and money because of a stupid mistake...i figured that he was just being his dumb self...lol..he suprised me with his TSI build. i thought that most factory turbo cars stayed out of boost for that reason. thank you guys. esp. Roto!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

^ Saabs unite! haha

But again, low RPM boost/quick spooling turbos would be bad for your DD's MPG
NOPE! Turbos are spooled by "load" not rpm . I've said this before but I'll say it again, with my tiny *** t25 turbo, I could go all the way redline without ever touching even a pound of boost, none!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

how did you do that? just low throttle? but still, most people know what im talking about.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM

The guy with the talon is pretty stupid, being as he drives in vacuum most of the time himself.

Turbo's are load based, IE throttle based. You can be at 7000rpms but if you're only at 15% TPS you won't be boosting.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 PM

^+1, like forty said, i can do the same thing with mine. And no it wont hurt, it will prolong the life of it if you dont have it spinning at 60,000+rpms all the time.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

The guy with the talon is pretty stupid, being as he drives in vacuum most of the time himself.

Turbo's are load based, IE throttle based. You can be at 7000rpms but if you're only at 15% TPS you won't be boosting.
no....he beat the crap out of it the whole 4 times he drove it...and twice it broke down on the 10 mile trip to school....he had it for about a year (building it and stuff) then drove it for about a month...and was trying to sell it as soon as he took it out of the garage the first time.

also, he is kinda dumb....he sold it, the other guy put in aUSDM engine, and is now trying to sell it...so i might look into it.

Quick Reply: driving in vaccum