Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

eBay Turbo Kit. Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 AM
HCF Member
Default eBay Turbo Kit. Good or bad idea?

99 civic ex coupe SOHC VTEC d16y8 1.6L

I'm looking at buying a cheap ebay turbo kit for my car. I have the money, a garage to install it, and the knowledge.

But... will it just be a waste of money?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: eBay Turbo Kit. Good or bad idea?

and to add to the eBay part... it was either eBay special or custom junkyard style... can't decide.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Cat Fuсker

find a used greddy kit on ebay....or go the junkyard route...I'm going junkyard FTW

Old 12-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

buy petes greddy kit hes selling on ebay right now for about the same price as one of those cheap unreliable kits

Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Not like I know as much as some of you so Im talking like a know it all. But whats wrong with some of the ebay kits. They come with all the main componets and most of them are good t3t4 turbos. Like everyone else says the most important thing is tuning. So what the hell get a ebay kit and hondata and call it a day. Cause most of the ebay kits I've looked at don't supply anything managing the fuel or timing. I guess thats my 2 sense.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:37 AM

The manifolds may crack to to aweful welds, turbo may break... Many things can happen. The reason they can charge so much less is research and developement (marty talks about that) or lack there of. They provide ****ty parts at a, what we think is, reasonable price. You're getting parts that won't be as reliable as the more expensive ones but cheaper due to the lack of R and D. If you're gonna boost, do it right the first time. It will save you time, effort, and most of all money.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:59 AM

Injen I agree with you there forsure. But there are many people here that say **** the ebay kits go with junkyard parts. But a guy is still stuck buying a manifold on ebay, so the same risk is there. Arn't those kits on ebay new, they say and look it. So for the guys that say go junkjard that seems to be the most unreliable to me. Thats seems to be the biggest risk. Like my buddy he spent 550 on a homemade kit withe alot of dsm parts. He got it all in and then the turbo leaked oil. Now for an extra 1 to 200 bucks could buy him an ebay kit new. I not trying to start an arguement don't take me the wrong way. So I guess if I had to spend the money junkyard turbo(dsm etc.) I'd have to go ebay and take the problems as they a rise But at least when you finally have the problems worked out you'll have a good kit. Thats the tuner way isn't.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

I understand the whole research and development part but I still feel that part of it is just buying the name... Just like how Abercrombie and Fitch is so expensive, because it makes you cool. I'm positive that GReddy is a lot nicer than doing it junkyard or buying it off fleabay, but if you can get the same results for cheaper, I'd say go for it. I'm a chance taker... a rebel if you will.

Can you direct me to this used turbo? I looked but didn't see it.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

Ive got my GReddy 19T turbo kit on ebay for sale. I would end the auction early for 950$. This kit would be almost $3,000 if it was brand new. Awesome turbo kit. Contact me if youre interested.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteRabbit1021

I understand the whole research and development part but I still feel that part of it is just buying the name... Just like how Abercrombie and Fitch is so expensive, because it makes you cool. I'm positive that GReddy is a lot nicer than doing it junkyard or buying it off fleabay, but if you can get the same results for cheaper, I'd say go for it. I'm a chance taker... a rebel if you will.
You're comparing tshirts and pants to turbocharger and things that see 1400 degrees of temperature change.

Things I would never buy from Ebay :
-Turbocharger
-Manifold
-Wastegate
-Injectors
-Fuel rails/pumps/etc

Things that are ok
-IC piping
-Intercoolers
-BOVs
-Vacuum Manifolds

The "new shiny" manifolds you see on ebay are rediculous. They are welded with a substandard steel and might as well be done by 5 year olds. The metal heats up, expands extremely badly, cracks, the welds also do the same thing. The turbochargers blow their seals, and often times the shaft ****s itself and blows up one of the housings. Not to mention the technology that Garrett and Turbonetics put into their turbo's is coming from years and years and years of experience, good compressor maps, etc. Ebay guys are putting a two fans on a stick and making it spin.[&:]

Quick Reply: eBay Turbo Kit. Good or bad idea?