Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

First turbo setup, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
HCF Member
Default First turbo setup, please advise

Here's my situation, I bought a 91 integra b18 block andputting the b16 vtec head onto it. The person i bought the car from purchased soooooo much performance parts it is really ridiculous! Just from memory i got, ross pistons, eagle rods, skunk2 intake manifold, sk2 valve springs, sk2 retainers, sk2 cam shafts stage 2, t3/t4 turbo with garret internals,golden eagle vtec conversion kit,golden eagle vaccum manifold, golden eagle headgasket, golden eagle headstuds, obx oil catch can, iknow i amforgetting some stuff but brain dead right now.

The car is a basket case and i am in the process of rebuilding it. Mechanically i have no problems, been working on imports and domestics for 10 years with my pops. But when it comes to turbo and tunning, ect. i have no experience in that.

ive read many thread on here and they are helpful, a few q's i have are:

1.I have RC injectors 540CC (i think) do they mount to the factory plugs or do u have to wire them up a special way? I read somewhere you need to wire a special resistor for performance injectors? PLease advise?

2. Exhaust on a turbo. I got a turbo downpipe but no other exhaust has been bought. Should i do a full exhaust system including a cat? What type of exhaust do most people have when running a turbo. The o2 bung does that come factory on any exhaust system bought or does it have to be fabricated on the downpipe? where do i install the o2 sensor, on the downpipe, before the cat, on the cat, ect.?Is bosch o2 sensorgood?

3. Cold air intake. What type of intake system do most people use on a turbo. i've seen a mushroom looking filter that goes directly on the turbo, is that adequate? Should i run some intake piping and have a cold air intake that hooks to the turbo's intake? Any help or idea is good.

4.Factory maps ok for no more than 10psi? I've read about 3bar and 2.5 bar, ect. i plan on only running 10psi of boost.

5. to sleeve or not to sleeve, that is the question? running low boost it isn't necessary to sleeve correct? the stock sleeve can handle that, i've read. I have the golden eagel gurrdle, is that a good support for the cylinders?

6. Any other ideas, suggestions, questions that will help me or help you to help me. please holla at me

this is my first setup, so i am trying to not make mistakes and learn as much as possible before detonation! I've bought like 200.00 in honda performance books. And just started reading Corky Bells Boost book. Anyway i'll post some pics of the progress, soon!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: First turbo setup, please advise

1. I beleive most RC's are plug and play, the DSMs are the ones you need clips and a resistor box for

2. A high flow cat will open up your exhaust system even more, which is what you need. Alot of people do custom catback exhaust for turbo setups becasue they want 2.75" or 3" piping, and not all pre-made catbacks are that big. On a downpipe, if its a custom one, you will have to have 2 bungs welded into it, one for your primary o2 sensor and one for a wideband o2 sensor, which you will use when tuning. Since its OBD1 i beleive ('91), you only have one o2 sensor, and thats hte one that gets installed in the downpipe.

3. You'll probably need to be creative with how your filter attaches to the turbo. Soem people have them clamped rihgt onto the intake side of the turbo, other people run a little bit of piping and have the filter a little bit away from the tubro. I dont beleive this helps out anything perfromance wise (the colder air) becuase whens hte air gets compressed and moved through the charge piping, it gets HOT, but thats what an intercooler is for

4. Someone else will have to help with MAP, sorry [&:]

5. Well it looks like its already had some internal work done (rods/pistons/etc.), so i imagine it will be able to take 10 PSI of boost (i beleive rods are always a weak point). Sleeving deals with boring out the engine, and i dont see where you said you were going to bore it out, so unless you're boring it out, i dont think sleeving is necesarry.

6. Holla

that my shot......hold out til some other guys correct me

Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM

1) RC 550s are high impedance, they're plug and play.

2) I personally have a full 3" from the turbo back. No cat, no resonator, just a muffler. The less restriction and the larger the piping the better. Put 2 O2 bungs in an easy to get to location, don't worry about the sensor just use the primary one in one hole and plug the other, or buy a wideband and put it in the 2nd bung.

3) Just put a filter on. Sometimes you need to put a tube to make room for the filter, but if you can fit a filter right on the turbo that's the easiest way.

4) MAP will be fine for 12psi and under. Anything other will need at least a 2.5bar and a retune.

5) You won't need to sleeve, won't need the GE block guard either. Just leave the engine as is as far as sleeves and coolant jacket goes.

6) Read those books!!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Alright I'll take a stab at some of these.

1. Im going to guess you have rc 550cc's which can be low or high impedence so you may or may not need a resistor box. I would check the part #'s and verify them on the rc website. Low impedance you'll need a resistor box and high you wont. Depends on what year your car was from if the injectors will be direct plug-ins. Im pretty sure most rc's fit obd1 plugs so if you dont have those pick some up and solder them into your wiring harness.

2. I wouldrecommend going with 2.5" exhaust if youronly goin for 10psi. If you live somewhere without emmissions you can justlose your cat and make a straight pipe all the way to the muffler. I think flip pretty much got it on the o2 sensors.

3. You willmore than likely need to get creatinve with your intake. Your turbo will probably be somewhat cramped in the engine bay and you will often have to route some piping to a remote/cooler area since you dont want already hot air entering your turbo where it will get even hotter making it harder for your intercooler to cool your charge air. The higher flowing filter you can use the better to help your turbo spool quicker but you want something that will filter well since you dont want sand and particlesdamaging your compressorblades.

4. 10psi should be alright on the stock map sensor but thats right about the limit before it freaks out and throw cel's so you might want to look into a missing link or something.

5. You are fine without sleves on 10 psi but with the internals you are using you could sleve the block and make a real moster running 20+ psi. I wouldnt recomend doing that until you have a wealth of knowledge and are somewhat experienced with turbochargers.

6. Take your time with everything and learn as much as you can about everything as you go. For tuning your going to want to get an obd1 ecu probably a p28 or equivelant and get it chiped and tuned with the software of your choice. Keep reading and studying and good luck with the project.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

boring is honing out the cylinder walls. Sleeving is drill out the old sleeves and inserting new stronger sleeves precisily

Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

i have the block bare and still havent decided to sleeve or not. I know the difference between honing and sleeving. I will check if i have RC or MSD injectors and get back with everyone to get some clarification on those.

So the o2 bung needs to be fabricated on the actual pipe that comes off the the turbo. and if i have a wideband put it in a similar area. How much space should be between the 2 sensors? So i have no emissions inTX therefore would it be better no cat,or ahigh flow cat?What is a good muffler brand to go with? I think i will go with 2.5in exhaust, 3 in sounds too big. I would like a nice sounding exhuast nothing annoying or ricey, but still provide good flow. suggestions?

everyone here is the best, i just posted this and now i have a wealth of info to dissect! holla?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

If you have the cash to sleeve than I say go for it but it is pretty expensive. I would just run with no cat if you have no emmisions even though it is illegal I doubt the cops are going to look under your car. There is a really good sticky at the top of the exhaust forum about exhaust and backpressure I highly suggest you read. Magnaflow I think makes a really good souding muffler.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

My injectors:

MSD SC injectors 520cc 12ohm part#2063

are these plug in or special wiring. thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

Well Ive never heard of those injectors but they sound perfect for your setup. 12 ohm would be high impedence so theres no need for a resistor box and they should be plug and play. You may need different injector clips but thats no biggie.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 PM
HCF Member

ok,so with 12ohm no resistor box great.

exhaust, i have a 2.25in downpipe, now i read that in turbo applications it is best to go 2.75 or even 3in exhaust.is that wise? anyone with a similar setup pleaseadvise me on your exhaust isze. thanks

Now i took my block to the machine shop and he suggested to me to buy a crank girddle. it strengthens the caps that go over the the crank and connects it to the block. Has anyone heard of this? if so please direct me to the website or part#. i will try lookin the next few days, but if someone has experience with this holla at me. thanks

Quick Reply: First turbo setup, please advise