Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

How much can it take!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Default How much can it take!

Hello im pretty new to the forum but i like it alot. how much boost should i run on the stock internals. im running 10psi right now but, can i go over that really. thanks alot for any imput you guys have.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Default RE: How much can it take!

I wouldn't go over 6 unless you have some damn good fuel management, and some beefier injectors. YOu'll run lean and over time, bye bye to your engine.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:41 PM

I never updated my injectors but, i added a mds BTM (boost timing master) and a alcohol injection kit. The guy that tunes it for me said he wants to take it over 10psi but, i dont know. the compressions good and im not running lean at all. Im getting plenty of fuel. i know it wont blow right now but if i go over 10psi will it blow.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

PSI doesnt mean JACK. A stock D16Z6 can handle 200 WHP on stock internals NO problem.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

um it shouldnt blow, just the boost is forced around the piston rings and pushes them downword kind of tilting them at an angle and then you start to get ring faulure, and your motor is gonna start to burn oil........hope this helps

arp head studs would help out a BUNCH

Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 AM

well if it doesn't mean jack, turn yours up as high as it goes and see what happens. I've seen a stock B16 in a 99 si get its pistons raped on stock boost pressure (which was 6psi) You may or may not hurt your stock motor, but if its your daily I wouldnt' take the risk of upping the boost. Not to mention what happens when one your stock injectors fails and they're already sporatic because they are totally MAXED at 200whp to begin with.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:47 AM

And boosted how do you know you're not running lean. Do you have a wideband O2 or are you on a dyno? If you're using a narrow band O2, they don't give you an accurate reading so you might want to consider this before you up any boost.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM

The shop i take it to dyno's it when he tunes. Also its not a d16y8 its a jdm d16A. I don't know it there any differnt under boost situations though.See im not running lean cause when im not in boost im running regular premieum pump gas. thats how its tuned. when i enter boost my alcohol injection kick in and sprays the needed fuel into the motor. the alcohol prevents spark knock and so does the msd btm. and thanks for the feed back it help alot.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

Boost means nothing, it is the amount of tq that matters. I say you first need to upgrade fuel management and your fuel system before doing anything. What turbo are you running?

Tuning means everything you can blow a built engine at 4psi if not tuned right but in the same note you can boost a stock engine well over 200whp if the tune is great. The D series are alot better than people give credit for and on a great tune they can and will make great power.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 PM

What do you mean by, "its the amount of tq that matters"?

Quick Reply: How much can it take!