Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

I am new, advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
HCF Member
Default I am new, advise please!

I have owned my share of stock civics/integras. Some with dohc vtec, some with basic 1.5 or whatever. I have never done or had one with serious mods before. I am looking at buying a '95 civic with many.

I guess what I am looking for is advise on what to look for. My goal here is to get something that is fast when I want it to be but for the most part, a daily driver. Your advise would be greatly appreciated on if this could fit that.
I am wanting something that I don't need to screw with, something that will remain reliable.

Also, is this a reasonable price? I have already looked/drove it. It is quick and feels solid. His price is OBO as well, so I would maybe start out at 4k.

Heres the info I have on it.

CIVIC LS TURBO 1995 HONDA CIVIC (CLEAN TITLE IN HAND) .....ASKING $5,000 O.B.O
B18A1 SWAP
GSR LSD TRANNY
LOW COMP TURBO PISTONS
MICRO-POLISHED CRANK
PORT & POLISHED HEAD
KYB 1 PIECE FULLY ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION
JDM AMBER CORNERS
MUGEN FRONT LIP
2000 SI BLUE PAINT JOB DOOR JAMS EVERYTHING
TINITED WINDOWS
RED POWDERED ENKEI RIMS WITH NEW LOW PRO TIRES
SLOTTED AND DRILLED ROTORS
AKEBENO STREET PERFORMANCE PADS
JDM CENTER CONSOLE
PIONEER PREMIER DECK
ALPINE SPEAKERS
2PC STRUT BARS
NRG $950.00 TURBO MANIFOLD
T3/T4 AR.63 TRIM HYBRID BALL BEARING TURBO
TIAL 38MM WASTE GATE
GREDDY FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER
BLUE ANADIZED TURBO XS RFL BLOW OFF VALVE
CHROME PIPEING
DSM 450CC BLUE TOP INJECTORS
WALBORO 255/LMPH FUEL PUMP
SKUNK2 SHORT SHIFTER
STAGE2 CLUTCH WITH FIDANZA LIGHTEND FLYWHEEL
NEW AXELS
NEW BALL JOINTS
FULLY TUNED AND DYNO'D AT SPEED FACTORY ON HONDATA S300 WITH DATA LOGGING
SI CLUSTER
ALL BLACK INTERIOR IS SUPER CLEAN NO RIPS OR STAINS
APEXI N1 CANISTER WITH 3INCH TURBO BACK EXHAUST
3INCH DOWNPIPE
2INCH DUMP TUBE OFF TIAL WASTE GATE
BUMPER IS CUT OUT AND FITS NICE WITH FRONT MOUNT
THERE IS NO LEAKS NO SMOKE IT DOES NOT BURN ANY OIL AT ALL. THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER TURBO'D CIVIC
DRIVES SMOOOOOOTH NOT BOUNCEY AND IT SITS A INCH OFF THE GROUND
BOOSTING 8LBS AND THE TIRES SPIN INTO 4TH GEAR. I RAN THIS CAR AT P.I.R. SATURDAY APRIL 24TH,2010 AND RAN A 13.8 AT 105MPH ON 8LBS OFF BOOST WITH NO TRACTION ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TRACK. I HAVE TIME SLIP ASWELL AS VIDEO OF THE RUN.
WITH A MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER AND SLICK BOOSTING 14-18LBS THIS WILL BE EASILY A 12SEC CIVIC. THE BLOCK IS BUILT FOR BOOST.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Sounds like it has an eBay turbo on it, since he did not bother to post a brand. If you had a nice turbo, you would want to make sure to put that in there (like he did with the manifold). Same with the rotors, and the clutch.

Sounds like this guy isn't too concerned about using quality parts. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-16-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

Does this look like a safer bet? I wont be able to see this one until tomorrow, but am leaning towards it. Hes asking 4500

Looks like he doesn't quote any brands either...Is the issue just plain quality? Are they notorious for going out early? I am mainly just concerned with the performance and reliability. If it does low to mid 13s, actually, anything in the 13s in fine with me.

1994 Honda Civic HB SI

My car has,

Jdm d15b vtec 40K on motor
Si tranny with stage 3 clutch and short throw
T3/t4 50 trim turbo with cast manifold
External wastegate
Rc 440's
Adjustable fpr
Polished valve cover
Motor mount inserts
Si wheels with baldish tires
Strut bars
Walbro 255 fp
MSD ignition
Boost gauge
Fmic painted black
ARC blow off valve
Type r lip
6K H.I.Ds
Alarm with keyless entry
Interior is in awesome shape and is all si
Exterior is pretty good but clear coat coming off in some places, mostly front bumper

Has cruise control, power sunroof, power steering, rear defrost and more

Dyno tuned at RRev 222whp 176tq at 10psi, very conservative tune. Have dyno sheet. easy low 13's or high 12's with slicks in the 1/4 mile

Clean and clear Oregon title with current tags

Runs and drives awesome and still get excellent gas mileage

Last edited by bbowl; 05-16-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Same thing with that one...

Doesn't specify shifter, clutch, turbo, wastegate, fpr, boost gauge. Probably all no-name junk.

You heard the saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself," right?

It is possible that these people could be lazy and not type out the brands, but the best thing to do is ask them. If they can't tell you because they don't know or they do tell you and it's all off-brand, it's best to stay away. Vital components like clutch, turbo, and wastegate should not be cheaped out on.

I'm making assumptions here because that's all I really can do with this information. The best thing you can do is ask them specifically what parts they are.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-16-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

and the problem with the no name "junk" is? Poor performance? How long they last? both?

Keep in mind that my price range is 5k max. Just the dohc 1.8 vtec has gotta be 1500 or more right? This is probably a you get what you pay for type thing... I am just wondering the downside of getting one that has probably been built with cheap parts.

I have seen several that are a lot nicer looking and are quoting 450hp area, but they are in the 10k-15k range.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Reliability. Some parts it's okay to cheap out on, like a strut bar, but vital components like a turbo, which is obviously the heart of the turbo kit, need to be quality parts.

It is completely a "you get what you pay for" thing.

You can get a reliable turbo B-series swapped Civic for $5000... you just have to sort through a lot of bad ones before you find a good one.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

Have to ask.. can you estimate the cost to build a quality 13sec flat turbo civic not counting the car to start with. NOT top of the line, but quality.

And if you know of any in the portland OR area that are decent and already built let me know. looks like your FL, chances are slim, heh

Last edited by bbowl; 05-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM

idk enough about estimating 1/4 mile times to answer that question. If you could give me a power goal I could tell you

Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

thats kinda hard for me. The fastest thing i have had was an '01 SS camaro, that did high 13s. It was 325whp. This guy is saying his does 13s at 222hp. I guess there is a huge weight difference. SO, if 222hp does 13sec, than 220-250 range.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 PM

a stock D16Z6 can make 225WHP turbo'd reliably if the engine is in great condition and your tuner is really good. Say, cost of car plus $2-3k depending on what you use... closer to $3k since you'll want to use high quality parts.

Quick Reply: I am new, advise please!