Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Internal vs. External Wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Default Internal vs. External Wastegate?

I am piecing together a turbo kit for my h22. As the title states, i am curious which type of wastegate is better. Personnally i think that the internal wastegate is the best for my turbo future but i am open to other thoughts. My plan is a T3/T4 with an internal wastegate set at 7 psi. Don't want anything more than that and think for the money it is the best way to go. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Default RE: Internal vs. External Wastegate?

It all depends on how much boost you would like to run. Internal is better for low boost applications and external is better for high boost applications.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 PM

first off are u doing any internal mods to keep the all aluminum h22 from melting... traditionally those engines havent responed to boost or spray

Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM

not as of now. With a good tune it will handle it just fine. plus i am a college student and will really only driving the car on the weekends. Another thing I was wondering about is the blowoff valve. What is the best for the lowest price?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you go with internal it will save you a couple hundred bucks over an external you will have to buy

Old 12-09-2006, 06:16 PM

well its not the whole thing of howoften your goin to drive it but how the aluminum pistons and cylinder walls can tolerate above normal atmospheric pressures.

from my knowledge... the H series internals dont like boost or spray. ive seen h22 pistons that were boosted at 8psi and they werent pretty...

as far as wastegates go... an external will give u more predictablility about what its goin to do and it will be easier to make more power down the road if you wish to. this is b/c you can always jus go and swap springs out of the hat. as far as internal wastegates go your goin to be more limited to the power production if your going for an upper hp car

Old 12-10-2006, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

first off are u doing any internal mods to keep the all aluminum h22 from melting... traditionally those engines havent responed to boost or spray

That makes no sense whatsoever

Old 12-10-2006, 12:29 PM

thanks remmy, i have never heard of a correctly tuned h22 blowing for 7psi. anyone have any thoughts on my blowoff valve question? What is the best for the absolute best price? are the stock 1gen DSM ones any good? another thing i am always wondering is why all the stupid boost gauges you find go to like 35psi? its stupid, why can't they make them to a realistic 10-15psi. Is it some macho thing to have a 7psi car but have a 35psi gauge?

Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: VTECME

thanks remmy, i have never heard of a correctly tuned h22 blowing for 7psi. anyone have any thoughts on my blowoff valve question? What is the best for the absolute best price? are the stock 1gen DSM ones any good? another thing i am always wondering is why all the stupid boost gauges you find go to like 35psi? its stupid, why can't they make them to a realistic 10-15psi. Is it some macho thing to have a 7psi car but have a 35psi gauge?
it doesnt matter what bov you get, they all do the same thing, release pressure. also about the boost gauge the reason why companies make them all the way up to 35 psi is because some people need them that high. i think autometer makes some that only go up to 20. you are not going to find one that is good that only goes up to 15.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i know mine goes up to 25, when the motor gets built that will be damn near maxedi cant wait

Quick Reply: Internal vs. External Wastegate?