Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Nitrous!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Nitrous!

Remmy, you still didnt answer. Why is it a bad choice?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

easy, final has been running it for over a year, maybe two. I'm not sure but he knows plenty enough that he doesn't need me to defend him. Besides I don't really think that a stock d17 could hold together with a 75shot for very long.

I ranthe sprayover a year and a half myself andI had no problems other than a blown head gasketwhichI caused myself bysprayin withthe bottle pressure too high and that didnt happen until after a year of having it and even then the head gasket was only slightly blown.(meaning no coolant was getting into the oil) I had the head gasket replaced and arp head studs installed and never had a problem afetrwards. I've even sprayed that engine in 5th gear at over 100mph numerous times...so I guess the D17 does just fine with the spray! lol I dont know why you would think the D16 could handle it but the D17 cant when they're pretty much almost the same damn motor in regards to design.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 PM

interesting

Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: easy101

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

easy, final has been running it for over a year, maybe two. I'm not sure but he knows plenty enough that he doesn't need me to defend him. Besides I don't really think that a stock d17 could hold together with a 75shot for very long.

I ranthe sprayover a year and a half myself andI had no problems other than a blown head gasketwhichI caused myself bysprayin withthe bottle pressure too high and that didnt happen until after a year of having it and even then the head gasket was only slightly blown.(meaning no coolant was getting into the oil) I had the head gasket replaced and arp head studs installed and never had a problem afetrwards. I've even sprayed that engine in 5th gear at over 100mph numerous times...so I guess the D17 does just fine with the spray! lol I dont know why you would think the D16 could handle it but the D17 cant when they're pretty much almost the same damn motor in regards to design.
Honestly I can't sit here and tell you that you are wrong because I really don't know a whole lot about engines but the d17 has two major differences that I can think off of the top of my head. First it has a different ignition system, second it has that weird *** intake manifold. Both of those seem like they would effect how well the nitrous would work. I'm assuming that you adjusted your timing with the 75 shot also right?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:14 PM

no i never adjusted timing because the timing is controlled by the ecu on the gen and I didnt have a vafc orany kind offuel management which is why I bought the NW wet kit because it sprays the fuel in with the nitrous,but trust me, the sohc d series motors do just fine with the spray up to a 75 shot.I can vouch for the 75 shot but not a 100 shot.

edit: I know the idea of using nitrous without the ability to adjust timing sounds scary but I honestly never had any problems other what I previously stated and I was always checking plugs after every run and the plugs always looked good...maybe a little on the lean side but never anything to get paranoid about. I definitely NEVER ended up with any pinging sounds during use and I NEVER melted any plugs. The plastic intake manifold is nothing to be concerned about either unless you're dumb enough to cause yourself a nitrous backfire through the intake which would only happen if you sprayed while the engine is off which shouldnt happen anyway if you have wired properly or if you tried spraying in too high of a gear with too low of rpms.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

What about your spark plugs, did you keep the stock gaps and heat range? I'm just curious because I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to prep for my 55 shot.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:16 PM

ooooh, thats a good question...its been almost 2 years since I had that car...I do remember I went with a smaller gap... I think the stock gap was .044 so I think I went with a smaller gap possibly .032?

edit: oh yeah, the heat range...I believe I was using NGK BK7RE's not sure what heat range those are because I cant remember... 5 or 6? I know those plugs are not copper although some nitrous users have gotten away just fine using coppers....those BK7RE's are the bomb though!