Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Reaper's turbo build project

Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default Reaper's turbo build project

***The Project Starts on page 3***

Well, I might be able to get a transmission swap (finally!) fairly cheap, since one of my friends knows someone who works at a local junkyard (meaning discount prices lol). Anyway, I figured since I can get a 5-speed bolted on to my z6 fairly cheap, I might as well just keep it and turbo it (eventually... probably next summer at the earliest). Well, anyway, I'll admit it; I know very little about turbos. I know a little bit (what components you need, what they do, etc.) from the research I've been doing, but I still have a lot to learn. The big thing that's confusing me is turbo model numbers or whatever... like, it sounds so simple when people just say t3 and t4 turbos. But (and I'm pulling random turbos from GReddy.com) t88-34D, td06s-20g? Now that's a little hard to decipher lol. Anybody want to enlighten me as to what all these letters and numbers mean? Personally, I'd rather spend around $1000 on a pieced-together kit than spend $3000+ on a pre-made kit, so understanding all this would definitely help me

Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: wow this stuff looks complicated

i agree. Ive been thinking abotu piecin together a kit this next summer when im off from college. Im in the same boat. Im not really sure what all the trims me and what not

Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

I've been reading up on FI for a while now, and i know the Difference between a T25 and a GTR30 or whaetver, but i have no idea what those codes mean at all. ....Sov? [8D]

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Hey, hope this helps. http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/ts04.html
and this makes calculating less of a headache
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php?
and...
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Old 10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ thanks for the links, man... that last one is helping a lot!

Anyway, I was looking at something like this turbo and this manifold... I'm still undecided on wastegates (I definitely want external) and everything... I'm thinking about this fmic, too.... any comments? And yes, I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not looking to run a huge amount of boost... I'd be happy with 150 horses at the wheels or somewhere around there (for now, at least... I can't say how power-hungry I'll be in a few years). I just want a dd that's fun to drive for now.

and why do I have a feeling this is going to turn into "reaper's turbo thread"? lol

Old 10-07-2007, 02:43 PM

i just looked at that turbo you linked. Please dont do that to your civic. I you just want the motor to take a crap, hand over your car to me. You do get what you pay for, but i dont care if your running 4 or 24lbs, you dont cheap out on the most important component, trust me, i tried and lost a motor. Stick with brand name snails.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

wow this link is awesome

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM

The turbo names are just that, names. Every company tends to have there own. Basically what you have to do is find out how much horsepower the turbo will support and fit it to your goals. Understanding sizing comes through just knowing the industry more or less, kind of a pain in the *** but that's really the only way it's possible.

Otherwise you could find the trim sizes and max flow CFM of each turbo and do all the needed calculations to find out what's going on, but that's time consuming.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin

okay, well does anybody have a turbo suggestion for getting 150-175 horsepower at the wheels on a stock-internal d16z6 then? Would a 14b turbo from a DSM be able to support that much power? Because if so, I could probably get one around here pretty cheap... on a related note, I read that you can buy blockoff plates for internal wastegates... anybody know where I could get one for a 14b?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

A t25 or a 14b is perfect for a d series. They both spool fast and are very cheap to rebuild.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reaper's turbo build project