Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Spray on a HX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Spray on a HX

I want to get a bit more power out of my 98 HX D16Y5. I have been plaing around with the turbo idea but was wondering about spraying my Y5. I would do a wey kit of coarse and only a 30-50 shot. It is a stock motor has a cai and soon to be header high flow cat and cat back. The motor is strong and in great shape and has 162k on it. It was always well cared for. Any thoughts on this or any anyone sprayed a HX?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Sounds good.

Just so you know, it's illegal to have the bottle hooked up in your car on the street. That being said, try not to get your car searched by the police. lol

I'd use a ZEX wet kit. They come with a special computer thing that automatically puts in the right amount of fuel, making your engine safe.

BUT
I really recommend just running a turbo on low boost instead... it'll be more up-front cost, but after it's tuned you won't have to pay any more money on it. For nitrous, you'll be paying $40 every time you fill up that 10 pound bottle for the rest of your life (or however long you keep the nitrous).

Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Sounds good.

Just so you know, it's illegal to have the bottle hooked up in your car on the street. That being said, try not to get your car searched by the police. lol.

you can have it in the car but just keep the nitrous unhooked unless you are gonna race... my friends mustang has gotten searched and they said it was okay because he is a track racer and had his nitrous unhooked.....

dam thatt car is a beast lol

Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

Yeah going turbo is the best way to go I feel too Trust. I just dont want to have to do the p28 ecu to do the tuning. This will fail emissions due to convertion to obd1 from obd2. I want to find out if a SAFC would do the job. I know piggy backs are not the best for tuning but I have worked on some turbo setups that were tuned on a SAFC and am not looking to make tons of power. I would be happy with 160-170 hp at the crank.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM

well really what I would do, since SAFC's aren't terribly expensive, is get a chipped P28 and get it tuned, and also get them to tune the SAFC with the OBD2 ECU. That way you can run the P28 all year and then put the SAFC and OBD2 ECU in just for emissions testing, and put the P28 back in when you're done. It'll cost a little more to get it tuned like that, but it'll be worth it.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

Yeah not a bad idea. I might need to run the safc for a while to save for the p28 conversion. What turbo do you feel would be good for my needs? I am going to piece together my own kit. I just dont know what would be a reliable and fast spooling turbo but I also dont want to spend alot on it. Any suggestions on injectors would be great too.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM

for the turbo, i'm going to use a GReddy turbo. If you've got money to spend, i'd just buy the brand new GReddy kit on eBay, and then just buy the few parts it's missing. It comes with all the major components, and you can use the GReddy E-Manage it comes with for your tune instead of the SAFC (i'd still get a P28 eventually).

Things it doesn't come with:
head studs
injectors
intercooler and additional required piping
blow off valve
vacuum manifold
(Maybe a couple more things, this is all i can think of off the top of my head)

For the injectors, check out Precision injectors on Phearable.net, they're a good value. You'll also need OBD2-OBD1 injector clips. You won't need a resistor box if you get the high impedance injectors.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

Couldnt I just get obd2 injectors so dont need to do the clips or are no larger obd2 injectors for obd2 d motors?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 AM

You're not going to find OBD2 injectors big enough, at least i'm pretty sure. Also, OBD2 injectors are harder to find because most people use OBD1 injectors. It's much easier just to buy OBD1 injectors and spend the $19 on the clips.

The injectors you will need if you don't want to wire in a resistor box are "high impedance" or "saturated", both meaning the same thing.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-10-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

Cool I didnt know what type of injector the civic used you just saved me a bit of looking. So for 160-170 hp what size will I need? I know my supra had 440cc stock and those where good for close to 500 hp. So my guess is around 250-310cc injectors for my needs? Keep in mind I will not be doing this for a while I just want to know all I can before hand. You have helped me on a few other threads related to boosting my y5 so thanks.

Quick Reply: Spray on a HX