Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
HCF Member
Default turbo auto

I have a 93 ex auto d16z6. I'm looking to swap and turbo, but I'm getting impatient. If I were to put the turbo on my auto along with a transmission cooler, how much power could I push out of my stock motor/tranny safely? Any other mods to make this work on an auto? Thanks

P.S. unless someone has a cheap header and/or pulleys for sale to hold me over til I swap.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: turbo auto

d16's with manual transmssion have been known to safely push around 200-220 hp on a stock motor. I'm guessing under 200hp would be safe for an auto tranny.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

I had a D16Z6 Auto, and I boosted it. I was running 10PSI on a GReddy 19T turbo kit, prob running 175 whp or so. The tranny took a beating, but ran decently overall. I would definetly not try to push much power on that tranny, as theyre not meant to hold much. However, you said you plan on swapping anyway right? So who cares? Boost it, break it, swap it and redo it.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

Pete, it sounds like a pretty good idea. Only problem is thatit's my only mode of transportation right now. That's the reason I was gonna swap/turbo, so I could build the turbo on the engine and when everything was done drop it in the car. I know it wouldn't be ready to go right away, but I figure that would minimize the time I would be without my only vehicle. Building off that idea though, if I boot it around 8 to 10 psi, with a good tune, maybe I'll be ok for a while until I have a place for the engine so I can get it and start working on it. Thanks for the input. Anyone else??

Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 AM
HCF Member

You need to relize, that this kind of stuff takes a long time, takes lots of money and even more time. Dont get too impatient. Stock auto tranny is probly only good for like 175ish id say. but if your getting a manual, you could probly do 185ish. If it break whatevss.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Don't hold me to this, but I've heard that auto honda trannys are actually very stong with the exception of the torque converter. I remember seeing an aftermarket one in a magazine a while back, it might be worth googling

Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

Johnny, I know it takes time (and money). The thing is, I just feel like I'm getting left behind cause all my friends either have bigger engines that respond really well with bolt-ons, or have acquired the money for turbos faster than me. I've been saving for a motor because I was going to get a motor/m/t and build the motor and turbo on it out of the car so I still have my daily driver. My problem now is that I still have no place to put the engine so I can't get it and start working on it. So I'm kinda thinking to piece together the turbo kit before I get the engine and while I have the kit ready, just put it on my auto for some fun now. My friends' cars are getting faster, while mine stayes the same while I save up for everything and try to figure out how I'm going to do it all. (I also just lowered the car (only because my springs were bad, so I figured why replace when I can upgrade) so that took some moneyout of the funds I had, plus I need new brakes soon). So I figure maybe by using the money that would have gotten the motor first, I can buy the parts for the turbo setup, put it on my auto at low boost just for some fun now, and then save for and buy the motor later.

Kokasian, the thing about the auto trannys being strong except the torque converters sounds like a good point to look into. I'm gonna search online and ask around locally to see what I can find out.

Thanks everyone so far for your input. It's really helping me! If anyone else has something they want to say, post it up.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BCivic93

So I figure maybe by using the money that would have gotten the motor first, I can buy the parts for the turbo setup, put it on my auto at low boost just for some fun now, and then save for and buy the motor later.
If you plan on swapping a different engine other than d16, you do know that you're going to need a new manifold, downpipe and probably a bigger turbo for that beefer new engine. Just the mani, downpipe and turbo are at least half the total cost ofthewhole kit.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

Actually, I was planning on swapping to another d16z6 with a m/t. I'm only looking for around 250 whp, so with eagle rods, forged pistons, a clutch upgrade,and a turbo setup I think that'll be reachable on the d16z6.