Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo D17

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Turbo D17

So i have a 2003 Honda Civic Manual, D17, always running Mobil 1 5-20 oil and Mobil 1 Filters. Has stock EVERYTHING except K&N typhoon and muffler unbolted. I've always been fascinated with turbos and have never owned a turbo'd car so I have my mind set on making mine turbo'd. So since i am so new to this i was wondering if this setup would work;

-IHI RHB5-VJ11 "From 91 Ford Probe GT" no shaft play, internal wastegate, comes with down-pipe "would need to have exhaust shop fabricate me up a pipe to connect it to catalytic converter".
-I heard that log type manifolds work the best so use a T25 manifold (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPA-T...Q5fAccessories)
-Measure and bend a brake-line for my oil feed and tap the oil pan for return.
-Also would have an intercooler to lower intake charge temp to ease the stress on stock internals.
If my research has lead me correctly, that turbo using stock wastegate and settings should make 5PSI and then open wastegate? correct me if im wrong

I wonder with such a low amount of boost if DSM 440 CC injectors would be needed?

For fuel management i plan on using Greddy E-Manage

Furthermore i read that the stock civic map pressure was good till 12.5 PSI ? so no need to change anything there.

My main concern is if this turbo setup would be a good idea on stock internals as long as i dont raise the boost and have a good street tune.

Last edited by 03civex; 11-09-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Well its good to see you did some research first b4 posting. D17 are not the best platform to turbo with but you can still do it. Since your only going to be running 5 psi you should be fine with the internal wastegate, but external would be better. Intercooler is a good idea and yes your wastegate would open at 5psi since the spring is set at that. 440cc will be fine and give you some room if you plan on trying to crank out some more hp. E-manage should be good, but dont recommend a street tune, you really should take it to a shop and have someone who knows what they are doing tune it for you because having a good setup depends on the tune. Stock internals should be fine, its not about how much PSI your running its about how much hp you want. HP will kill your engine not psi. In that case what are your hp goals??? Also you should read the sticky about turboing a D17, there is a write up on this forum in the turbo section i believe.

also imo i think you should turbo your 1995, might be a little easier but then again having an `03 turboed would be cool.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

Why would an external wastegate be better? if i had to couldn't i just hook up a boost controller to the internal wastegate? Why dont you recommend a street tune? I've played with e-manage before i tuned my buddies Turbo RX-7. I think my goals would be like...150-160whp

Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 03civex
Why would an external wastegate be better? if i had to couldn't i just hook up a boost controller to the internal wastegate? Why dont you recommend a street tune? I've played with e-manage before i tuned my buddies Turbo RX-7. I think my goals would be like...150-160whp
external wastegates are more accurate and dont allow for surges in boost. But you should be fine since your going for low boost. Dude if you know what your doing then go for it, but after spending like 2k on turboing your car I would spend the extra money and have it tuned by a pro, plus like I said before the d17 isnt the best car to turbo so your probably going to run into some obstacles. And playing with e-manage doesnt really mean you know what your doing, look im not trying to hate on your setup or anything I'm just trying to help you out because I dont want to be the guy that said "O ya you can do a street tune, you'll be fine" and then you have engine trouble because of it. GL with the build I'm interested to see how it comes out. Do you have any pictures?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

I actually like constructive criticism, helps me decide if i really want to do this or not and I think its a go. I will have somebody tune it with a dyno and such, how do people charge for that ? I think i will also get a light-weight flywheel and stage 2 clutch before I put the turbo on, maybe same time ? Thats why I have my 95 civic its a piece but somewhat reliable so i can drive that around while my 03 is down so there is no rush and i can do things right.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

another quick question, would the probe turbo fit onto that log manifold with a T25 flange ?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Snail'n Admin

It worries me that you want to bend a brake line for oil feed and drain line. stealthmodeperformance.com should be able to hook you up

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

from the factory i know that the probe has a brake line "type tubing" feeding the turbo. I do not see where the problem arrises as long as i have a free flowing return line to the oil pan (half inch bung in oil pan) or something similar.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

i have a turbo out of a probe, Vj11, and the flange that goes from the turbo to the manifold look similar, but not sure if its 100% exactly like the same as a t25. Both are square flanges with 4 holes, but idk if it'd fit exactly. What turbo do u have?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Snail'n Admin

no offense, but not sure why youre boosting a d17. Its not very boost friendly and doesnt make power. swap a k instead And my issue with a hard line is that it just seems kind of janky but more importantly like a lot of extra work when you can spend 70$ or so for a feed and drain line

Last edited by GReddy_Civic; 11-10-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo D17