Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo Flange Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Default Turbo Flange Information

I found some extremely helpful information and it took me a pretty long to find a straight answer. Some things I have read people say are flat out wrong, and with all the various turbo flanges, it can get pretty confusing.

To save you the confusion I am putting this information on the forum and I have re-hosted all of the pictures just in case the original website ever goes down, which for some reason always seems to happen to the most accurate and helpful web pages on the internet.

I'm still learning about the subject of the various flanges too, so I am missing quite a bit of information. I am not posting information that is incorrect though.

Feel free to contribute more information. Just make sure that it is accurate first.

Some Flanges Sound the Same, but Aren't...

I want to start out by pointing out that some turbo flanges have almost the same name but are actually different. There are the standard sizes, and then there are the odd-shaped flanges that came on some car manufacturers' OEM turbocharges.

Examples of these are the DSM (Diamond Star Motors... Mitsubishi/Eagle/Dodge-Chrysler) T25 flange and then the Standard T25 flange, which some people loosely refer to both as a T25, which can cause confusion. It's important to know when buying your turbo parts that a DSM T25 flanged turbocharger will not fit on a Standard T25 flanged manifold (without an adapter flange... we'll get into that later). Same goes for the Early-Chrysler T3 and the Standard T3.

Some of the Most Common Inlet Flanges

Standard T3 (TK030)
Fits all T3 and T3/T04 (a.k.a. T3/T4) type turbos. Fits most early Ford, Saab, and Z31 300ZX turbochargers. Will fit early Volvo turbos but the turbo will need to be machined down.
There are more than one kind of the standard flange, as some turbochargers have twin scrolls, but the flange is otherwise the same dimensions. The purpose of having twin scrolls is to equalize the exhaust pulses flowing to the turbine.
There is also a special flange available for the early Volvos where no modification should be needed (TK214), but the flange is otherwise the same basic dimensions.
There is also a special flange for Turbonetics turbos that has a 15% larger port, but the flange is otherwise the same basic dimensions.
All TK030 flanges come threaded in 10mm x 1.5 pitch. TK214 is threaded in 8mm x 1.25 pitch.

Standard T3 (TK030)

Twin Scroll:

Early Volvo (TK214):

Turbonetics:

Standard T3 (TK030)

Early-Chrysler T3 (TK100)
One of the most popular junkyard turbochargers ever! Whether its the actual Garrett Chrysler T3 turbochargers or the later Mitsubishi version (same engine) this flange will fit. To use with all TURBO I & II turbochargers.
All TK100 flanges come threaded in 3/8 in. x 16 pitch.

Standard T25/T28 (TK010)
This flange is used on most T25 & T28 turbochargers. Common to Z32 300ZX TTs, Silva/bluebird/GTiR SR20DETs, and GM 2.2L Turbos. This is also the type of flange that the Edelbrock Performer X turbo kit uses, and their turbo manifold.
All TK010 flanges come threaded in 8mm x 1.25 pitch.

DSM TD05/T25 (TK011)
This flange was mostly used on just Mitsubishi DSM 4G63 Cars (Eclispse, Talon, Laser). If you have a T25 from one of these cars, it won't use the Standard T25 flange, it will use this flange. GReddy likes to use this flange on a lot of their turbochargers too.
TD05-13G, TD05-14B, TD05-16G (I typed them in order smallest to biggest) have the same basic dimensions but the port in the center is a different size on each one. So, if you were to put a 16G turbocharger on a 14B manifold you would have some restriction. I don't have a picture of the 16G flange... imagine a 14B flange with a larger port. The 14B flange and the TD05/T25 (TK011) flange appear to have the same size port. I am not 100% sure about that, but I think they do.

DSM TD05/T25 (TK011)

TD05-13G:

TD05-14B:

DSM TD05/T25 (TK011)

T04 (a.k.a. T4) (TK053)
This flange is common to alot of medium frame turbochargers. T04E, T04B, and T-series are some of the most common. There are more than one kind of the standard flange, as some turbochargers have twin scrolls, but the flange is otherwise the same dimensions. The purpose of having twin scrolls is to equalize the exhaust pulses flowing to the turbine.
All TK053 flanges come threaded in 3/8 in. x 16 pitch.

Twin Scroll:

T6 (TK310)
These are for very large turbochargers, found on some turbocharged vehicles with large engines.
There are more than one kind of the standard flange, as some turbochargers have twin scrolls, but the flange is otherwise the same dimensions. The purpose of having twin scrolls is to equalize the exhaust pulses flowing to the turbine.

Twin Scroll:

Toyota CT25 Single Entry (TK173)
Toyota CT25 Single Entry (Turbochargers from MK3 Supra & ST165 Alltrac)
All TK173 flanges come threaded in 10mm x 1.5 pitch

Toyota CT25 Twin Entry (TK197)
Toyota CT25 Twin Entry (Turbochargers from MR2 & ST185 Alltrac)

Mitsubishi 16G Twin Scroll
This flange fits the popular Twin Scroll Mitsubishi Evolution Turbos from Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, IX, and X.

Flange Adapters
You can sometimes use a flange adapter if you want to put a turbo on a manifold that has a different flange.
Here is a website I found that sells a lot of flange adapters: http://www.bmcrace.com/index.php?cPath=60_62

Credit:
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/tif.html
http://www.bmcrace.com/index.php
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/trbflg.html

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-24-2010 at 08:29 PM.