Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by intenseneal
Boost spike is caused by a faulty waste gate or under sized waste gate not the turbo. Again this is an important piece of a turbo system dont use the crappy knock off waste gates that come with ebay kits. If you have a quality turbo with an interenal waste gate then you dont need to worry about this. If you have an external waste gate the get a Tial or HKS. I personally like the internal waste gate turbos, it just makes the install easier(no dump tube) but they dont work as efficently.
Fact: generic eBay turbo seals have a tendency to fail prematurely.

Also, boost spike can come from the crappy eBay boost controllers.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Boost spike is caused by a faulty waste gate or under sized waste gate not the turbo. Again this is an important piece of a turbo system dont use the crappy knock off waste gates that come with ebay kits. If you have a quality turbo with an interenal waste gate then you dont need to worry about this. If you have an external waste gate the get a Tial or HKS. I personally like the internal waste gate turbos, it just makes the install easier(no dump tube) but they dont work as efficently.
Okay, here's what I'm not understanding. You're saying buy the ebay kit. Then you're saying replace the turbo with a good one. Then you say replace the manifold it comes with with a cast manifold. Now you're saying replace the wastegate. Congratulations, you just named 3/4 of the most expensive pieces in a turbo setup. Why the h**l would you bother buying a cheap turbo setup from ebay and replace the most important pieces? You just made it more expensive to turbo than it would have been to buy a decent kit or to piece one together for yourself.

And boost spike is caused by a faulty boost controller or a long vacuum line going to the wastegate. Boost creep is caused by a faulty or under-sized wastegate.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

No you Im not saying that. I am saying piece together your own kit. You can use some ebay stuff like the intercoolers and the cast manis. But stuff like the turbo, waste gate, bov you need to get quality brand parts. You can find used Garret or DSM turbos for sale all the time, just rebulid only like $200. Spend the extra $100 for a Greddy or HKS BOV, Ebay BOV $50 Greddy $150 not a large cost for a good part. Same goes for the waste gate. A Turbo XS boost controller is like $75 if you want to up boost in the future and want to do it cheap. If you are smart about it you can make a good custom turbo kit for around $2000. But keep in mind that there is always going to be fab work needed unlesst you spend the $5000 on a Greddy or Edelbrock kit.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If you go with an Ebay kit dont use the turbo get a Garret or some other good brand and get a kit with a cast manifold.
I'm pretty sure that's what you were saying.

And GReddy and Edelbrock kits are not $5k.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Reaper's right, that's what you said and that's what everyone has been taking what you said as.

P.S. the full GReddy kit (the one with intercooler and BOV) is like $2000. Only thing it's missing is injectors and a tune... but you can sell the E-manage and be able to afford injectors and a chipped OBD1 ECU with the money you make off selling the E-manage. Then all you need is a tune.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
March 2010 ROTM
Smile

See what happens when bad information is given on a forum? haha. This whole thread was started with the question of fitment on a b16 to b18 manifold. One dumb statement led to 3 pages of what anyone doing a turbo project should already know.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Super Cereal Admin

This was a thread about b16/b18 turbo manifold fitment?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 AM
March 2010 ROTM

I think so, but I think it best for some of these people to go the easier route. Ebay has the sickest +60WHP stickers available. Im working on my own if anyone wants one. $8 shipped. DYNO proven.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Cereal Admin

nobody on the other side of the argument has posted since yesterday. I think it's time to declare...

FLAWLESS VICTORY

(and stickers add horses, y0! I have two regular stickers and a sideways windshield banner... the regular stickers are what, 5whp each? And the banner's gotta add at least another 50. (edit) Actually, one of my regular stickers is a shocker. That's good for 10whp, right?)

Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
March 2010 ROTM

The shocker adds a min. of 10 whp...depending on size, angle, and location. If you put the shocker on the motor....instant power. Kills any turbo setup whether it be ebay or Greddy. I also hear covering your exhaust pipe with duct tape and putting saw dust in your gas helps out with power too.

Quick Reply: turbo manifold question