Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo surge and lag

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Default RE: Turbo surge and lag

if when you say OP you mean me then yes i think. The surge is wat you feel when the boost kicks in since it has to spool and the lag is the time you have to wait for the turbo to spool up before you get boost... atleast i think thats how it is. I kno with the SC there is no lag and you a flat tq curve.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

"Surge" or compressor surge is when your throttle plate closes during boost (usually when shifting or sudenly letting off the throttle) and boost pressure has nowhere else to go but back into the turbo putting stress on the compressor blades by trying to make them spin in the opposite direction. Maybeyou should learn a little more about forced induction before making such a major decision like choosing to go with a SC instead of a turbo just cause you misunderstood a term inan article.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: 2000 Si Newbi

if when you say OP you mean me then yes i think. The surge is wat you feel when the boost kicks in since it has to spool and the lag is the time you have to wait for the turbo to spool up before you get boost... atleast i think thats how it is. I kno with the SC there is no lag and you a flat tq curve.
Please do not even attempt to convert a Civic to F/I. You've got so much homework to do it's unreal. Trust me, I'm saving you a lot of frustrations right now. DON'T DO IT!

Do you have a second mode of transportation, cause chances are if you go through with your plans, your car is going to be out of commision for extended periods of time

Old 05-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

agreed^^

Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

I think you guys are a little out of the know for those of you who have not experienced nasty tourque steer. The first time I experienced it and almost crashed into a center divider.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
HCF Member

this thread is funny. lol.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cderalow

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

^ The rpm range that a turbo spools depends on which turbo you are using.
depends on turbo, engine, piping, and some other fun factors...

and how hard you press the gas pedal, the "load", right?

And didnt Remmy just post a story in Street N Strip about how as soon as he was WOT and his boost kicked in his torque steer made him go all over the road? Just saying maybe it IS possible, but i dont think "turbo surge" is the correct term for it. I think "boost" is the term youre talking about it. Surge, like mentioned earlier, is when the throttle plate closes and the air has nowhere to go so it goes back down the charge piping and stresses the turbo housing

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: cderalow

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

^ The rpm range that a turbo spools depends on which turbo you are using.
depends on turbo, engine, piping, and some other fun factors...

and how hard you press the gas pedal, the "load", right?

And didnt Remmy just post a story in Street N Strip about how as soon as he was WOT and his boost kicked in his torque steer made him go all over the road? Just saying maybe it IS possible, but i dont think "turbo surge" is the correct term for it. I think "boost" is the term youre talking about it. Surge, like mentioned earlier, is when the throttle plate closes and the air has nowhere to go so it goes back down the charge piping and stresses the turbo housing
and the simple fact that its COMPRESSOR SURGE....lol....good call flip. were both on our way to boostin!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Remmy

I think you guys are a little out of the know for those of you who have not experienced nasty tourque steer. The first time I experienced it and almost crashed into a center divider.
Word, even my little SOHC @ 8psi on a tiny t25 pulled a good bit to the side. Definitely caught me off gaurd the first time.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Will i have been doin reseach and stuff gusse there is more i need to kno cause i didnt kno that. But the surge thing is not the only reason i went with the SC. If you look in the topics where it says Got $5k Turbo? i did name a few. Thanks for clearin this up for me tho.
I got the parts i need to instal the SC but i just want to get a tune up first to make sure every thing is runin good since i bought it use with like 110k miles on it.

Quick Reply: Turbo surge and lag