Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo vs. Supercharger

Old 09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Angry Admin

question lovely? do you want to post in the for sale section cause i can just make it so you can

Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Chubby Chaser

lovely is a spammer i had forty take off all his links in sig.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 PM

just wanted to say thanks on how informative this was in helping me make my decision

Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM

i prefer turbos ihi , garret

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM

thanks, SovietXday, you've covered a lot of issues regarding the turbo vs supercharger debate.

there's something i'd like to run by you regarding this, because i've looked all over for an answer and found none: i drive a 1999 Honda EK3 with a CVT trans. D15B motor. since i drive long distance, i want to keep my CVT box, and not swap it for a manual. but the whole mechanics of the CVT technically rule out the possibility of turbocharghing this car, since a turbo relies in gaining rpm to spool, and the cvt keeps the rpm constant while the gearbox does the trick of accelerating the car. but, i feel supercharging it would do, since superchargers are belt driven, and the response is instant, and is not reliant on gaining rpm...

pls do let me know your thoughts on this. i'm not looking to have my eyeballs riveted to the back of my head. just that much extra squirt to put a grin on my face and of course, the whine! can't beat that whine! so in essence, i would be looking for a reasonable amount of boost which will not adversely affect the engine cooling/heating. also, (again this if from forum inferences, not having owned/driven a blown honda) superchargers are bolt on/bolt off, and don't need as much engine alteration as a turbo would. this too is a factor for me.

am i right about my deduction on the CVT box?

regards,
Komi

Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Chubby Chaser

the problem with civics auto trans is that they cant hold up to hp, i strongly suggest swap over to a manual trans. i have learned this from first hand, my auto trans internals went through the housings and all onto the street.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 PM

oh crap! i as afraid of that! the CVT is finicky as it is. guess it won't hold up to the extra horsepower then. i'll check up a little on that. thanks.

as much as i'd love to have a manual, its a bitch with the long haul. will consider it when i don't have to the drive any more. but then a turbo would be a better idea...

i'm getting it re-chipped soon. already got a cold air intake, so i don't wanna replace that with a cone. any suggestions on little other things i can do to up the HP?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Cat Fuсker

The CVT is not your regular slushbox. I have so far seen no proof that it will fail just like a regular one under power.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Cereal Admin

+1. I don't know about Honda, but as a Subaru tech, I can safely say Subaru's CVT has roughly twice the holding capacity as the standard automatic. I'd assume Honda's is also stronger than their conventional automatic.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Cat Fuсker

This is speculation though... we don't have solid data to back it up. For all I know it could suck...or it could not suck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo vs. Supercharger