Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Vacuum Line Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member
Default Vacuum Line Location

I am trying to find the best spot to hook up my internally wastegated 14b vacuum line. Any suggestions? Someone told me the intake before the turbo. To me that just sounds stupid...

Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Vacuum Line Location

brake booster line. It comes off the back of the intake manifold and gives an accurate reading of the PSI right in the intake manifold, so its better htna the turbo's vacuum nipples because it takes a reading after the air has traveled through the Intercooler and charge piping.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

my bad... I should probably specify more. I meant my wastegate actuator. Not boost gauge. I was told the vacuum line was to be as short as possible for the actuator, so it has good response and can open and shut effectively.

another thing... my wastegate is stuck open right now, any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

I have an edelbrock intake manifold which already has a nipple to connect my wastegate line. But, what most people do is buy the eagle's vaccum thingys, and tapped it to the brake boost line... and just connect the wastegate line and other vaccum lines to it.

Name:  VacuumManifold.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  9.7 KB

Or you can do it the ghetto way, which is buying some t-fitting and tapping the wastegate line to any intake vaccum line.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

^ thats what im doing. Running my vac mani off of my brake booster, than running my BOV, boost guage and wastegate all off of that. From Forty:

ORIGINAL: Forty04

You are correct on the Vacuum Manifold. What you do is Cut the Brake booster line AFTER the one-way check valve, so that the valve is in between the vacuum mani and the brake booster. Run the brake booster line into the side of the vacuum mani, then from one of the ports on the mani, connect it to where the brake booster line used to be hooked up. Then, put in as many nipples as you need, and run your lines

Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

I am trying to find the best spot to hook up my internally wastegated 14b vacuum line. Any suggestions? Someone told me the intake before the turbo. To me that just sounds stupid...
sometimes they have a brass nipple on the compressor housing that is a vacuum port that you can use to send a boost/vacuum signal to the wastegate

Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

sometimes they have a brass nipple on the compressor housing that is a vacuum port that you can use to send a boost/vacuum signal to the wastegate

the brake booster is said to be better than that (although it IS farther from the wastgate), just becasue once the air travels through the piping it might be significantly less PSI than what was originally compressed in the turbo itself, so you'd be making less power than getting a full "X" PSI at the intake manifold

Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

I see, alright thanks a lot guys this makes things a lot easier.

what about my wastegate, anybody know why it's stuck open?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM

does the wastegate actuator arm move at all? it could be stuck and might need to be replaced.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

not sure, I asked the same question on homemadeturbos.com and someone said to try to move the compressor housing, I'm going to try to do that tomorrow.