Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Wastegates

If a turbo is internally gated, like a garrett turbo t3 series, is it possible to remove the internal gate and put a bigger external gate on it? this might be a really newbie question, but i am not too framiliar with turbos. Also this seems like it might be one too but does a radiator need air too cool as well as the coolant or is it fine off just the coolant, because if i do a turbo kit, i dont know if i want to put the intercooler low in front of the radiator or directly in front. Thanks

Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wastegates

i think i've heard that you can weld the gate shut and do it somehow, so yes i think i've heard its possible, but thats as much as i know.

And in my opinion you should really get an intercooler if you boost. And if you dont want a FMIC you can get a side mount

Old 10-21-2007, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

I think welding it off is a ghetto way of doingit. You can take it off and put a flange where it was to block off that hole then use an external wastegate.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

i know it is possible to get the intercooler than get the piping separate, is that harder to do? im assuming you have to bend it and whatnot yourself, and thank you for the wastegate tip because if i get a turbo it internally gated at 7 psi and i want to maybe up that more and i dunno what would be good what wouldnt.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

block off flange will do this...get an intercooler and some piping its going to be custom no matter what the ad says...no bending get some random bends and straights

Old 10-21-2007, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: D17Punk

i know it is possible to get the intercooler than get the piping separate, is that harder to do? im assuming you have to bend it and whatnot yourself, and thank you for the wastegate tip because if i get a turbo it internally gated at 7 psi and i want to maybe up that more and i dunno what would be good what wouldnt.
you usually have to be creative like dfdon said for the intercooler piping, but as for the upping the boost, a boost controller could do that for you no?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

Internal wastegates are usually only effecient to a specific PSI, obviously the psi depends on the size of the turbo. I know that the greddy 19T I had would only handle around 10 psi, any more and the wastegate starts having trouble keeping up.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 AM
HCF Member

Yeah so if eventually i wanted to jump from 7 psi to 10-15 what size waste gate should i be getting?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 AM
HCF Member

And as for the piping, is there a certain metal that has to be used? because i was thinking i could pick it up somehwere other than online from a place that calls the piping "intercooler piping"

Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 AM
HCF Member

As long as the piping isn't made of pbc pipe then it is ok. Just make sure you get t-bolt clamps instead of those weak worm clamps that will break and cause you to have to replace them all the time. Unless you pay out the *** for a greddy intercooler kit then you are going to have to do some cutting to make the intercooler kit fit perfect, it really isn't a big deal don't let it scare you.

Quick Reply: Wastegates