Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Why is it a bad idea to turbo a d17?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Default Why is it a bad idea to turbo a d17?

I have an 04 civic lx and want to turbo it to get more power. However I have read many threads that say not to turbo d17's. What are th problems with turboing a d17? Please help me out here. I have tried to read some other threads but they just tell me to swap in another motor (k20) cuz the d17 is weak. The problem is i dont have 5000$ or more for a k20 and i am perfectly fine with a turboed d17 pushing 200 hp. If im just looking for 200-220 hp than a turbo kit, cat exhaust maybe nitrous and few internal work (pistons, rods and cams) is the way to go right?

I also have another question. When i accelerate my car from a stopped position in 1st gear to make a 90 degree turn my steering wheel feels very tight and it gets very hard to move the wheel. And when it rains it feels like my car is about to lose controll and skid out. This only happens when I redline the car in 1st gear while turning. Do any of you know what is going on?

Thanks a lot guys cuz im still getin this stuff down.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Why is it a bad idea to turbo a d17?

as far as your turbo question....i havea 01 ex coupe (5spd) and when i first got it i was plannin on makin it a race car. the only thing is is that the engine for the 7th gen civics is designed for commuting, hardest to build up, hardest to turbo. the engine isnt designed for a turbo kit or things of that nature. dont let anyone tell you its not possible cuz that just isnt true, but its going to cost way more because of the engine.

as far as you acceleratin ur car in 1st (somethign i seem to be doing frequently...lol) and make that turn it sounds like ur just peelin out and ur wheel is trying to turn with it if that made any sense... when it rains the roads are slick and it is going to feel like its about to skid in ANY car. the reason you feel it ONLY in 1st while ur turning is because 1st is the most powerful gear and your going to feel the most torque in that gear and thats why thats happening... who taught you how to drive a stick???

Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM

My dad and my friend both taught me manual. The first car i drove for about 8 months was my dad's mazda b-series pickup, manual and than i got this one about 4 months ago. Anyway this only happens when i floor it in 1st gear and the steering wheel becomes difficult to controll. Than when i put it into 2nd it's all good.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM

The "can I turbo a D17" question has become more of an opinion than based on science from what I've seen. Kinda of likeglobal warming. I don't think either side of the argument for or against has proved its case yet (unlike global warming ). Personally I am against, and don't care enough about the motor to research if anyone has made it work out for a reasonable period of time (because there's no way in hell I'm going totry it ).

Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

dude its cuz you dont have as much power in second...they clearly didnt explain how it works. theres nothign wrong with your car you just dont have that same amount of power.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Sell the car, use the money to get an older Civic and use the money you saved to boost that.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

+1 on SovXietday's statement.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

The "can I turbo a D17" question has become more of an opinion than based on science from what I've seen. Kinda of likeglobal warming. I don't think either side of the argument for or against has proved its case yet (unlike global warming ). Personally I am against, and don't care enough about the motor to research if anyone has made it work out for a reasonable period of time (because there's no way in hell I'm going totry it ).
My reasoning behind my answers is that you've got to re-work the whole fuel system, which seems like a ****load of extra unneccesary headaches. YES, it can be done. Is it worth it, imo, no

Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

+1 to forty.... honestly dood. the money youd have to spend into your car wouldnt be worth it becuz if u crashed that **** its like all that money gone...better off buyin some lil 95 hatch and makin it fly with all the money youd have left over from sellin ur car now.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

Sell the car, use the money to get an older Civic and use the money you saved to boost that.
there's always the off-chance that i happen to hate older civics body style..looks like im stuck

Quick Reply: Why is it a bad idea to turbo a d17?