Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Why would my radiator blow at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Why would my radiator blow at idle?

So i finally got my car out of the snow bank, it had a dead battery so i jumped it, and i let it idle outside my house for like 20 - 30 minutes. Sitting there just fine, all the sudden my roommate walks out and yells back inside "Dude you're smoking under the hood." Go out there, fluid shot a little bit under the hood, smoking because its on the turbo/block, so its steaming off, i shut the car off, theres a fluid running on the ground underneath the car, and for like 45 seconds after i turn the car off, the antifreeze resorvoir was absolutely bubbling. Like boiling water.

Now i don't hardly drive my car, no its not tuned, but even when i have to drive 3 blocks to school, i dont ever hit boost, my charge pipes aren't even hooked up, i coast everywhere i can, and i dont ever drive it hard. Also, my radiator blew like a week after i first got the trubo installed, still, never hit boost, and never ran it for long. This time it was freakign idling, what do you guys think? head lift? bad head gasket? I've got no idea, hit me with some knowledge.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Cat Fuсker

you probably have an ice block in either the radiator or one of the hoses.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Flip, start by locating the source of the coolant leak. Or is all the expelled coolant coming out the top of the reservoir?

Do you have coolant or water in the radiator?

Last edited by RonJ; 03-05-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

quite the theory....how would i go about curing this?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Cat Fuсker

first try to feel around the hoses...I'd go as far as pulling out the thermostat and testing it too. If you're lucky - you don't have a cracked block/radiator, but I'd also check the freeze plugs in the block to see if they're being pushed out.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
HCF Member

i dont wanna start it up becasue i have like no coolant left, but it looks as though it was coming out of the top of resorvoir, its not coming from any of the hoses i dont believe.

i do know that i have an ice blokc in my wiper fluid resorvoir, how would an ice block get in my radiator/hoses though?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Cat Fuсker

It would freeze inside the hose, you toolbag! If you're going to let a car sit in a snowbank you should at least make sure you have winter mix in it.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Drain the remaining coolant and check for the presence of oil and vice versa.

Was there smoke coming from the exhaust pipe?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

not any more smoke than usual, its always been fairly white though, no cat on there either. Oil levels are fine, as far as i can tell no antifreeze in there.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What was the dash temperature gauge reading when you first noticed the problem?

Let the engine cool and then top off both the radiator and reservoir with coolant. Fire the engine up again and observe very closely and carefully for what happens. Don't let the temperature gauge go much above the halfway mark.

Last edited by RonJ; 03-05-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Why would my radiator blow at idle?