North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Any PA residents buy a car out of state and get it registered in PA?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Default Any PA residents buy a car out of state and get it registered in PA?

Hey,

I live in PA and recently went down to Virginia and purchased a used car there. Any other PA residents here buy a car from out of state and get it titled and registered in PA? I called the DMV here to see what I needed to do as far as paperwork and I got 3 different replies which is really annoying me.

I bought the car from an individual, not from a car dealer. I have the Virginia title to the car which has the previous owners signature on it as the seller and mine as the buyer. I also have a bill of sale the seller wrote up which we both dated and signed. I also have proof that the car has been added to my insurance policy and is currently insured under my name.

The car was put on a hitch and driven here so it's in the driveway here, just doesn't have a plate on it. Anyone know the process to get it registered here and plates issued so I can start driving it?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Any PA residents buy a car out of state and get it registered in PA?

I live near Pittsburgh and I never bought a car out of state. But I cna only imagine the process is pretty similar. Just find a notary (check your phonebook) adn go there and by the time you leave you should have everything taken care of. Once you finish up there they will give you a plate adn temporary stickers. You will get your card for registration in the mail. If thats not it then the people at the notary will know how its done.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Default RE: Any PA residents buy a car out of state and get it registered in PA?

I myself havnt bought a car outa state. Yeah your notary should be able to do all that for ya.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Cat Fuсker

Get a bill of sale and the title from the seller. Take it to a tags place, pay fees, done.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

yeah pretty much listen to Roto, thats what i had to do when i bought mine from NY

Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
mxs
HCF Member

go to the DMV. Take whatever paperwork you have. (the stuff you listed sounds sufficient-- PLUS proof of insurance!!) If you need anything else they will let you know when you get there