Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

My work (cell phone pictures warning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

ive wanted a G35 ever since they came out! they make a twin turbo setup for the G35. if i could ever afford one thats what i would do!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Lol gotta love the 8ft bed Full size Tundras. The place I worked at had above ground lifts. I'm lucky I'm skinny because I would have to squeeze in and out the door because the truck barely fit on the lift. We were pushing the weight limit on the lifts too. It nice working under one of those when it starts bouncing around Usually used a Tall Jack under the trailer hitch to keep it stable.

Are u flat rate?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, I don't know what the weight capacity on my lift is, but I know it went up nice and slow and came down about the fastest I've ever seen it drop lol. And with the way the in-grounds are set up, I had the arms like 3-4 feet apart so every time you did something the truck would start rocking back and forth... needless to say, that's about the fastest I've ever replaced an air injection pump lol.

Anyway, I was supposed to be moved to flat rate like 3 months ago. I'm not going to complain that I'm still hourly, though... the pay's steady. I've done the math, and if I pull 20 hours a week, the dealership doesn't lose any money off me, so they're happy with it, giving them no real reason to kick me to flat-rate, so it's kind of a win-win. What's sad is I'm one of the few techs that hasn't been struggling to get 20+ for the last month or two... business has been pretty slow lately, which is the biggest reason I'm glad I'm still hourly.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Yeah people were fighting over work when I was there. Unfortuneatly, because it's so slow many techs were making up bs work to be done to get hours. It was hard for me to keep my mouth shut but the department of labor contacted me about the dealership and if I get to talk to them, I'm not holding back lol. I know ppl gotta work and make money but it's just not right.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, I know how that goes. We have one tech that sells brake jobs like nobody's business... but I've seen the pads he pulls off the cars, and half of them don't need brakes yet.

Personally, I'd rather sell work that actually needs done. I'm more inclined to straight-up tell the customer what needs done and what doesn't; I've already told customers they don't really need something done just yet (when money's an issue and they need to figure out what needs fixed). I figure if that's the case, my *** is covered since whatever they didn't buy is priced out on the estimate (and noted on the repair order); I can pull the file on the car and show that the repair was declined. I also keep parts I pull from cars for a few weeks just in case I need them for any reason. Sounds OCD, but I've already had to show the service manager a faulty fuel pump that I'd pulled something like 3 weeks previously.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well... I'll give this a little bump for more pics.

Name:  Photo0627.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  52.6 KB
2000-something Mercedes something-or-other. Don't remember, don't care. Brakes and some other stuff.

Another E46. Had to diagnose why the windshield washers weren't working. Had power to the pump but it made no noise when I hit the switch. Pulled the pump and it was corroded to hell. Well there's your problem: you've got a pump on your corrosion

And I know earlier I said I wouldn't waste my time with Subarus, but here goes nothing (not too many)

Name:  Photo0638.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.5 KB
'09 WRX. Owner complained about, among other things, the "turbocharger not working properly". A quick (lolz thatsapun!) road test confirmed that the turbo is, in fact, functioning properly

And this was last week, but I figured a few guys here would find this interesting. Head gaskets on an outback:

Car in the air, engine out (I didn't think to take any pics before I yanked it). You can see the four bays I'm working out of. The red forester in the bottom corner is in the bay I posted earlier; the two lifts in the center of the pic are now mine, along with the dead bay (if you look closely, you can see an F-350 Powerstroke sitting in it). I have almost half the shop to myself

Bank 2 cam unloaded, timing belt off, heads removed

Name:  Photo0632.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  59.4 KB
A better look at the 2.5L short block

Name:  Photo0633.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  63.6 KB
Heads cleaned and re-surfaced, gasket seating surface on the block cleaned, valve covers cleaned, new gaskets and washers in the engine; it's ready

Name:  Photo0634.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  76.9 KB
Engine in, the intake is ready to go on.

Name:  Photo0636.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  85.7 KB
Intake back on, just a few more things left to do...

Name:  Photo0637.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  74.5 KB
... and done. Everything back on, fluids added, engine warmed up to operating temperature, confirmed operation of fans, no air in the cooling system. Takes about 6 hours to do a head gasket job (if you're unmotivated and take a lot of breaks like me), pays 11.2 hours.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

interesting reaper, who doesn't love pictures. i've actually taken a few pictures over the months at my trade school, mind if i post some of them up in this thread?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by Dontoh
interesting reaper, who doesn't love pictures. i've actually taken a few pictures over the months at my trade school, mind if i post some of them up in this thread?

or just make ur own thread...

Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Meh, either one works. I really don't mind if he posts 'em here.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

was gunna make another thread, but didn't see a point in wasting the space since this is the exact same thread.. why not make a "post your work place" thread? ye.. i'll do that