Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

the sounds cars make

Old 02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Default the sounds cars make

I found the following conversation from another forum interesting.

I am curious what "sound" you folks enjoy hearing a car make?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

poster #1--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the (mis)fortune of pulling out of a high-end hotel behind a red Diablo and a Ferrari F430. They were clearly buds and took off like a shot down a lonely stretch of Hwy 1. I could hear the engines spooling up and whining from over a half-mile back.

What incredibly fierce, yet buttery sounds. I've never heard any Vette with any exhaust come close to sounding like either of those cars. I've listened to Corsa's, Borla's, Loudmouth, B&B, etc. They all seem to be variations of "mean and loud", but none make the hair on the back of your neck stand up like an Italian supercar.

The F430 is only eight cylinders. Why is the sound so amazing? Is there anything we mortals can do to approximate that whining exotic roar?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

poster #2

why in the hell would you want an American V8 to sound like an Italian sports car?

I expect a V8 to sound like a V8...I expect a Porsche to sound like a Porsche and an Italian sports car to sound like an Italian sports car and a Ricer to sound like a cross between a weedeater,chainsaw, coffee can full of bees and a horny moose

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

poster #3

The 430 sound comes from its flat crankshaft firing order, and the Lamb has a V-12. So there's really not much you can do. If you don't like the sound of a LSx with long tubes and good mufflers then I can't help you.

------------------------------------

I learned why prancing ponies sound so cool. I always wondered why that had such a unique sound.

---------------------------------------------------

poster #4

agree, its all about firing order. If I'm not mistaken, LS1 has a unique firing order, making it sound like an outboard motor no matter how you slice it. I've heard LT1's that sound amazing.

I will say my Z28 w/ LS1 sounded pretty good with flowmaster setup, but it was a single muffler design. It sounded pretty rotten from inside, but outside it was a different story.

And there is nothing quite like the sound of a mustang, they have sounded the same since the beginning of time.

Anyone have any soundclips of a straight-thru intermediate pipe (no x or h)? That might make a difference in sound

------------------------------------------------------

poster #5

Gee, ya think the fact they rev to 8900 might have something to do with the sound? LOL

----------------------------------------------------

poster #6

As an automotive engineer, spanning almost 40 years in the industry, I have followed many icons of automotive technology. The 'Old Man " Enzo Ferrari, made sure that any car he built had the right sound, from his very first Avio Constuzzoni built in 1940, to his First real Ferrari the V12 375. Right up until his death in 1988, the sound of a Ferrari was always designed in.. of course his designers had a lot to work with... You really cant compare the long stroke thump of an American V8 to a V12 DOHC 10,000 rpm 700 hp Italian sports car. The reason GM and other American cars do not have this sound is because the market here for the most part, does not have a passion like the Italians for this sound. For the most part the Large % of consumers want a relatively quiet car. Take a Porche for eg. Germany and Europe has no passion for sound. The Japanese are just now looking into sound as a benchmark for some of their passenger cars. But you can not deny the sound of a Ferrari, and comparing it to a chain saw is sacrilegious. Ive had the privilege to take a few Ferrari's through their paces in my career. The sound is smooth, strong, and buttery, and there is no mistake that this car is not your grandfathers Buick.

---------------------------------------------------

poster #7

On an older dual exhaust system with no crossover or X pipe, you essentially have each bank acting as a separate 4 cylinder engine with an uneven firing order.
If we take the left bank for example, you have cylinder 1 firing, then 180 degrees of crank rotation, then number 7fires, then another 270 degrees crank rotation, then cylinder 5, then 180 degrees, then cylinder 3, another 90 degrees, then number 1 again.

This does some interesting things psycho acoustically, producing a low "masculine" sound for the same reasons a Harley does (also with an uneven firing order).

By "psychoacoustic", I mean that we hear things which arguably aren't there because of the way our brain is wired. The low sounds we hear don't show up on a spectrum analyzer.

Bose makes use of some of these phenomena on thier sound equipment, "fooling" the ear. Their "Wave Radio" for example doesn't really reproduce the bass part of the music, but it fools you into thinking it does.

The 180 degree exhaust Pumba mentioned would sound quite different, giving more of the shriek of the exotics, without that "American V8 rumble".
Another thing which might work is to have the two banks merge into one pipe. When the sound exits this pipe, it would have sound pulses emerging at 90 degree crankshaft intervals like the 180 degree headers. These pulses might not be equal in strength though, so it might not work perfectly. Would need to try it to know for sure.

----------------------------------------

Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: the sounds cars make

why is a strictly text thread from a different forum in the sights and sounds section? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I would take a ferrari over a domestic anyday, i dont know about you guys buy only being able to rev to like 6 grand in a domestic sucks a$$, i love being able to rev 10,000+rpms

Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

I would take a ferrari over a domestic anyday
Idk i sure as hell would love a new C6.