Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

02 civic si hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Default 02 civic si hatch

im planning to get a set of these http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...5e9/index.html
i also want to lower my car a bit maybe an inch or two but i also want better handling. i have my eye on the set of tein basic coilovers or the type ss but i dont know what else is good. can you guys point me in a direction? my budget is around $1,000 give or take. oh and any tire suggestions? this car is a daily driver too.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Default RE: 02 civic si hatch

Um... most people seem to go with tien or skunk2 for most of the components; as a general answer, both are high quality components by most reviews.

But I would strongly recommend you use the search button! I searched and found a ton of threads, there is a whole section on suspension as you've noticed. You're liable to get punched in the throat for posting general questions. (I'm not mad, but do your homework on the material that's already here)

Nice rims tho, based on my research 17x7 is the biggest rim (in both dimensions) that's gonna fit an '02 Si that's otherwise stock. And depending on the offset of that rim you might want to do a little research to make sure those rims will fit with the suspension upgrades you want, after you do your suspension you might be able to fit bigger rims or not even be able to fit those, depends on a lot of things that I haven't figured out myself yet.

Keep searchin and learnin. There are few easy answers but if there is one someone has probably already posted it.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 AM
HCF Member

tein basics are overrated and underperforming for the price. type ss's are a better value.

but there are plenty of better options for the money, including Ground Control/Koni combinations (if you want to race and you're willing to put in a lot of work to install them yourself) or full coilovers straight out the box like Omni powers, K-sports and Function/Form racing, etc.

btw, the work emotions are some of the best wheels you can buy.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

Hahaha. If you're budget is 1000 bucks you'd blow it on the wheels alone. They're $330 a pop. Have fun trying to find suspension that costs -$320 bucks.

On a more serious note...if I were to spend that much money on wheels I'd get nothing other than SSR Type-C's. Theyre lighter and they look better (IMO).

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM

oh the 1000 is for suspension only i have the money for the rims and tires covered already.
and bpapa it says the offset is 42mm. does that help you in determining if it will fit?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:43 PM

I haven't researched offsets and/or aftermarket suspension much myself (won't have the cheese to spread on that for a while), I've just read in several threads that it is important and they can affect one another.

Knowing that will help others answer your question tho.
Any ideas? anyone?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Regarding tires. A great set of inexpensive tires is made by Avon (Tech M500 or M550 A/S). I hear that they are made by Cooper in Ohio. (and sold by www.tirerack.com)

Hankooks are also very good for inexpensive tires.

Now if you want the very best, look no further than the Goodyear GSD3s - more expensive, but incredible grip on dry AND wet roads....definitely not an all-season tire (not for cold weather).