Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

92 suspension ?'s and hello

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Default 92 suspension ?'s and hello

Hello all, first post here. I just bought a mildly clapped-out 92 dx 4 door for daily-driver use so I can garage my stripped autox Miata. The shocks are shot and the bicycle width tires roll over in slow turns, easy to over drive. What I want is to throw on some wider wheels/tires for contact patch stability but more importantly the suspension needs attention. I bought the car for a grand so throwing a grand at the suspension isn't part of the equation. What I would like to do (if its possible) is to find some stock Si springs and sways. So, questions;

1. Is the 92ish Si stuff directly compatible? If so, I would purchase new shocks and struts and use the stock springs and sways, but is there anything else I would want/need?

2. Wouldthe newer generation Si components be compatible and be better??

3. Anyone out there have any take-offs collecting dust in their garage???

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Default RE: 92 suspension ?'s and hello

I just realized the fronts aren't struts, my bad.

4. What about shocks; what's a good OE replacement that is cost effective but has a nice firm ride?

5. What about alignment? I want nice neutral/less understeer handling. Does the Si rear sway and rear spring rates support a more loose setup??

This will be a year round DD that I want to corner and carve similar to how my Miata was when it was stock. I figure that the Si handling is what I'm looking for, maybe not??

Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Default RE: 92 suspension ?'s and hello

1. i believe they are compatible. might as well buy new aftermarket shocks/springs for 2 reasons, it'll be cheaper and handle better. for the SI sway bar, or any sway bar for that matter, u'll need a few things:aftermarket or Integra rear lower control arms(need endlink holes), endlinks, bushings, d-brackets, and hardware.

2. SI's have slightly higher spring rates but nothing crazy...

3. cant help ya here

4. like i said, aftermarket suspension parts will be better/cheaper than new OEM stuff. for a mild drop and better performace, Eibach Prokit, H&R Sports, and Tien S-Techs would be good choices. for shocks, Koni Reds would do just fine.

5. get an alignment. with the SI spring rates and SI rear sway bar, it'll still understeer. but not as much since u will be adding a rear swaybar. it'll still understeer with the aftermarket springs i mentioned tho again, not as much as stock or the SI rates.

H&R Sports with Koni Reds and SI rear sway would make for a fun daily ride i think. if u go with Integra rear lower control arms, might as well put some Energy Suspension bushings in those LCA's to make the rear end a little more stiff. could be done for like $500 total i think.

and u probably wont be able to reach the handling ofa stockMiata with limited aftermarket choices just by design. rwd, 50:50 weight distribution and probably better suspension specs would be hard to match out of a 4dr, fwd, 59:41 weightdistribution.