Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

94 ex suspension plan and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Default 94 ex suspension plan and questions

Hey homies, another n00b here.

So ive been researching a new sus. setup for my civic and have decided on some KYB AGX shocks and Eibach Pro kit springs. I would like to lower it as well, but not too much (1-1.5"). Stock wheels :/

Its been sitting for a few years before I bought it and when i hit a bump the front left sus. squeeks like hell! Is that the bushings? I plan on getting Energy Suspension's master bushing kit. hard to install?

oh and i plan on replacing the fork bolts and the rear lower shock bolt. I have a bad feeling they are gonna be rusted to hell. i have found some from a parts store online, but the price is CRAZYYYYY!! and they dont give the size...... so does anyone know the size of the bolt/ thread pitch? I can just order some grade 8s from mcmaster-carr.com for like half the price...and some new locknuts.

uumm yeah, thats all i can think of for now

Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Angry Admin

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHOCK+ABSORBER <== thats ur shock bolts, and i dont fee like finding the fork bolts but yah that website, has all stuff u should need, and if u r taking apart most of ur suspension installing the energy suspension bushings is jsut amatter of changing out the bushings

ps sorry about typing errors

Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Cereal Admin

welcome to the forums!

Anywhoo, a 1-1.5" drop should be what you're looking for; a 1" drop will pretty much cut your wheel gap in half, and a 1.5"-ish drop should almost eliminate the wheel gap.

Anyway, the squeak could be caused by a number of things... my guess would be either a bushing, or maybe the rubber isolator on top of the spring is damaged or missing (when I removed the isolators, there was an audible squeak from the suspension while going over bumps). Bushings aren't really hard to install, I did a write-up when I replaced my rear LCA bushings. It was easy, just kind of time consuming; I doubt any of the other bushings would be much harder. Personally, if you have the money and want to be safe, the three most commonly seized bolts on the suspension are the two (on each side) LCA bolts, and the rear shock-mount bolts. The bolts themselves will run around $30 at a dealership. Since you plan on getting a full bushing kit, I wouldn't worry too much about the bushings, since you'll be replacing them anyway.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

KYB=poop in my book

ES Bushings are a **** to install and youll want to keep some...whats it called?...some of that jelly ****...god damnit i cant think of the name...but w/e youll want some of that to lube them every once in a while

And a 1-1.5" drop will leave you craving for more....

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
HCF Member

I have Eibach Pros springs and shocks and it is actually a relief not having to slow down for every bump, dip, or slope. While the lowriders are braking, I'm blasting by em, while still looking far better than factory.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BillyB98
KYB=poop in my book
I remember that you have said this before. I know you talked about their shock dyno, but do you actually have any hands-on experience with KYB AGX's?
I have some and they're great.

OP: I think a 1.5" drop should be perfect.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well its always better to slow down on big bumps no matter what you drive! the suspension only takes out so much bump... the harder ya hit the more it effects the balljoints,axles, tierods, bent rims, busting belts in tires. and also bending control arms....
i know.... my old 66impala i floored it over large school speed bumps racing other kids out of the parking lot and after 2 years of doing that the whole front end had to be rebuilt!

hardest part about swaping out bushings is getting the old ones out
defiantly helps alot to have access to a strong press!!!!!
and the front bolts are almost always ok.... alittle rusty sure but with alittle penatrating oil will clean right up. now the rear bolts is highly likely to have problems with seizing!!!!! sometimes its not.... just depends where you live and where the cars been most of its life..... road salt is a huge factor!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

Slow down - yes, but crawl to almost a complete stop? Nah - too much time wasted! Even backing out of a moderately-sloped driveway can scrape an exhaust system in a slammed car, even at a severe crawl.

And you are right about road salt, although I have to say that I don't miss the CT snow at all. Where I am, it doesn't even rain from April until November.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Cereal Admin

hey, driving slow over bumps is the sacrifice you gotta make to drive a dumped car. And it's completely worth it

Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 PM

LOL u guys are crazy. where i live, the roads are pretty crappy. every time i see a bump, im hoping my sus. doesnt take a dump! (hey i rhymed!) and i dont want to lower it too much (slanted driveway, ect...) oh yeah, lots of salt here in WI (although the car was registered in IL so not too certian about their road conditions.) i remember the sus. bolts, ect. on my mom's car were rusted pretty badly (ie. pulling out the torch to cut bolts).

i have a puller i can use to press the bushings out with. are there 3 bushings in the rear LCA? and do i replace all of them? it looks like it. and the Energies just slide in?

do i need to get upper mounts for the shocks? or do i reuse the stock ones?(i have a feeling im not going to want to) any recommendations for some that arent really expensive? buy now stock ones..... ebay.....

66impala (droooooooolllll :b.......... )

oh yea, bought new headlights from NOPI.com on Fri. hoping to get them this week?.... my stock ones are pretty much useless and its BAD driving with all this rain lately...

Quick Reply: 94 ex suspension plan and questions