Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

ABS Question

Old 11-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Default ABS Question

When braking at high speeds i get a vibration in the wheel and pedal....i have never had abs before is it them kicking in? It doesn't do it when braking at low speed and I have check the rotors and both them and the brakes a almost new. I know this is a newby question... but i'm learning. I took it to the honda dealers and one said i needed to turn the rotors and the other said that they were like new... my ex looked at them and said they were like new too.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ABS Question

i dont think we could really tell you unless we could feel it, but it shouldent be kicking in when your breaking at highspeeds, it will kick in if it sences your wheels are slipping..if its abs you will no, its really big palse's ..if the roads or coverd in snow or its really slipery out side, go find a safe place and drive and slam on the brakes..you dont have to go fast eather,as long as your wheels start slipping..and then you can what abs feels like, abs feels like your pushing on the brakes really fast when your not..you will be able to feel the brake pressure build up and release really really fast when your holding the brake and the abs kicks in

Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

The dealer could be right, the rotors could have runout in them and it will cause pedal pulsation when braking and i think (am not completely sure) that the steering wheel will also have shimmy (vibrate/shake). If you think that it is warped rotor then pull them off and take it to a parts store and have them turned.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

It sounds to me like the rotors (or maybe one of them) are warped......if the ABS kicks in it will feel like you hit the rumble strip on the interstate only more violent.....it scared me the first time I felt it, I thought I had broken something. It is not a big deal to have them turned as long as you know how to pull them from the car. If the brakes are almost new, did you have them installed professionally? If you did, I would guess you have some sort of warranty and can take them in and have them looked at. If the rotors are warped but new (never been resurfaced) they can turn them to smooth them out and they should be less likely to warp again (once they heat up the steel tends to harden).

Hope this helps!

G

Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM

Yep brakes are new installed by honda.... only cuz it was under warrenty.... and when I had it checked last they were not worn at all. I think i'm gonna pull them off tomorrow and see if I can find someone to turn them for me since they have never been resurfaced.
Thanks all of you guys for your input.... i'll let you know if turning the rotors helps....

Fran
ORIGINAL: trickyvick

It sounds to me like the rotors (or maybe one of them) are warped......if the ABS kicks in it will feel like you hit the rumble strip on the interstate only more violent.....it scared me the first time I felt it, I thought I had broken something. It is not a big deal to have them turned as long as you know how to pull them from the car. If the brakes are almost new, did you have them installed professionally? If you did, I would guess you have some sort of warranty and can take them in and have them looked at. If the rotors are warped but new (never been resurfaced) they can turn them to smooth them out and they should be less likely to warp again (once they heat up the steel tends to harden).

Hope this helps!

G

Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 PM

make sure the lugs are tight. it could be alignment, or your wheels/tires may need to be balanced. also, a rotor like the other guys said. probably not the abs.. that engages when you are locking the brakes up.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:07 PM

Thanks ... I'll make sure I check those too...

Old 11-25-2005, 11:21 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Depending on where you go, it may be cheaper to buy new rotors.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

Depending on where you go, it may be cheaper to buy new rotors.
If they are Honda Rotors (Dealer Install) they would be less expensive to turn.....if she takes them off herself. Also, if they did warp, she would be better off with the Honda Rotors after they have been turned than cheap rotors that are new......from the way she drives (DRAGON RUNS) new rotors would likely warp quickly.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic
it will kick in if it sences your wheels are slipping
^^^^^No to above. ABS kicks in when your wheels start to lock up.

It sounds like either one or both rotors are warped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Question