Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels
Reload this Page >

annoying squeak turns out to be utter destruction of my rear strut assembly

Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

annoying squeak turns out to be utter destruction of my rear strut assembly

Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
HCF Member
Default annoying squeak turns out to be utter destruction of my rear strut assembly

so I've had this squeak coming from my rear passenger side suspension for some time now. Most forums told me it would be the trailing arm bushing, but I could tell the noise was coming from the upper portion of the shock tower.

Today, I pulled the plastic back to see if I could determine the source of the noise and I found this:

I've always heard this part called the "top hat" or "upper shock mount", is this right? What exactly do I need to replace, and where should I buy it?

Attached Thumbnails annoying squeak turns out to be utter destruction of my rear strut assembly-img_0658.jpg  

Last edited by Shandles; 03-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

The shock doesn't seem to be leaking, so I don't think it needs to be replaced. Im hoping that riding without the shock attached hasn't harmed the coil spring.

From what I can tell by looking at the other side, there is a piece missing on the top of the strut, right under that nut. I just can't quite figure out how that missing piece allowed the strut to travel up through the body like this.

I could REALLY use some help on this, guys. This is my only mode of transportation...

Last edited by Shandles; 03-21-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM

New tops hats needed?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

think Honda will charge me an arm and a leg for one? Or is this something I can go to Autozone for?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

Is this what I need? 00 2000 Honda Civic Shock Mount Plate - Suspension - Genuine, Sachs, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

and maybe one of these too? http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...nting_kit.html

BTW, is "parts geek" a reputable site? Never used it before. Feel free to point me in a better direction.

Last edited by Shandles; 03-21-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

now that I look at it, that plate doesn't look like the other side...

edit - https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...acement-70765/

just found this and it is helping...

Last edited by Shandles; 03-21-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM

I am not sure what you are asking here. I can find a top hat for ya if you are desparate.

Rent a spring compressor from Autozone, squeeze the spring down, loosen the 14mm(i think) nut on the top, use a allen wrench/key to keep the middle thing the nut is on from spinning. I know.. terrible way of explaining things.

Pay attention to the order of which washers/bushings come out. Swap over to the new set-up, release springs, reinstall assembly onto car.

I just this with the fronts on the teg when swapping from DA struts to EK struts while keeping the H&R spings.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

Problem is that I was totally confused as to what I was looking at. The parts blow up had me confused. I got a better parts blow-up faxed to me from my local Honda dealership and it has helped a ton.

I'll be working the car on Sunday. I'll report back after.