Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Annoying Brake Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM
HCF Member
Default Annoying Brake Squeak

I've had my 2000 LX for a few years now and it has been problem free except for a squeak in the rear brakes. It only happens when I let off the pedal, not when I push it down. I've pulled my drums off and cleaned everything off with brake cleaner, which helped a little but did not prevent the squeak. I recently pulled the drums and sprayed the moving parts with a dry lubricant, and that helped for about a day or two, but now the squeak is back, not as bad, but it's still there. My shoes are in good shape and the brakes work very well, I just can't figure out what squeaks. I'm thinking that something needs to be lubricated because when it rains and the wheels get wet the squeak stops. I was just wondering if anybody has had similar problems or knows what I need to do. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Annoying Brake Squeak

I'm assuming you have factory shoes? If so, they may be glazed, especially if the car sat for an extended period. If this is the case, you might want to replace them and then have the entire system flushed to get out any moisture or air pockets.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

id kinda agree... its a POSIBLE issue...

what i would do it take off the drums and sand the pads with some ruff 80grit sandpaper to ruff them up realy good and take off any debri or glaced over pads

and check the drums.... is thier a LIP on the inner part of the drum.... like if ya rub your finger along the drums from the bottom to the top with it layed on the ground bolt holes DOWN.... now when ya feel the top part if you can feel a lip on the drums then that COULD be whats squiking from time to time as well... COULD BE..... if ya got alittle hand grinder try and cut down that lip.... and use a screw driver or chisel to clean out the hubs spot where that drum goes into... just incase some rust debri or rocks could be stuck in thier... JUST ANOTHER COULD BE...

and if THOSE things dont eliminate the squiking then it might be something else squiking.... bounce the rear end preaty good and see if any suspension parts might be the problem squiking.... cause if rain makes the noise go away i think its could be some suspension bushings or something...

Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

I don't think it's the shoes or the drum, because it squeaks even when I have the drums off, I used the parking brake to move the brakes back and forth a little. Do you think it could be pins that hold the shoes in? I think they might need some grease.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:39 PM

wheel bearing?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

No, I don't know, if I have time tomorrow I'm going to pull my drums again and take a really good look and see what gives. I think it might be the arm that the hand brake actuates, it's behind the shoes and is kinda hard to get to the lubricate, so maybe I just missed it.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: shopmanual

I've had my 2000 LX for a few years now and it has been problem free except for a squeak in the rear brakes. It only happens when I let off the pedal, not when I push it down. I've pulled my drums off and cleaned everything off with brake cleaner, which helped a little but did not prevent the squeak. I recently pulled the drums and sprayed the moving parts with a dry lubricant, and that helped for about a day or two, but now the squeak is back, not as bad, but it's still there. My shoes are in good shape and the brakes work very well, I just can't figure out what squeaks. I'm thinking that something needs to be lubricated because when it rains and the wheels get wet the squeak stops. I was just wondering if anybody has had similar problems or knows what I need to do. Thanks.
It sounds like you need to lube the contact points where the shoes slide to-and-fro on the backing plates. I'd also lube your parking brake cables.

Use anti-seize or brake lube for the contact points. Use cable lube for the cables.