Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake noise FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake noise NOW WITH AUDIO

ORIGINAL: sacicons

yeah, there are two rods that the bolts that hold your calipers bolts to, and you need to pull those out and put brake grease on them. you can usually buy a little packet of it for 99 cents at autozone or wherever.
Can't picture the rods you're talking about, but I'll take a look. My car has the "5410" model calipers if that makes a difference.

ORIGINAL: sacicons

but i am leaning toward a possible rubbing issue with the snow/dust sheilds on the inside of the rotors. its that really thin metal plate that goes all the way around the back of the rotor to keep snow out of the back of the wheels, and to keep the brake dust from blowing out onto the wheels as bad. it kinda sounds "tinny" like that really thin metal.
I could have easily bumped that while taking the wheel off. Although I think I ran my hand around the back of the rotor and it wasn't touching the plate.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs
Can't picture the rods you're talking about, but I'll take a look. My car has the "5410" model calipers if that makes a difference.
They'll be like big bolts, but real smooth so that the calipers slide along them. That means they actually go through the calipers.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

yeah, its actually what the bolts screw into, once the caliper is off, you can pull on them and they will pop out. then you grease them up and stick them back in. theres a little rubber boot around each of them if that helps.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Ok, now I know what you mean. Didn't realize they came out.

I was just driving around with my roommate -- who evidently has not been in my car for 4 weeks -- and her diagnosis is: BAD CALIPER. I know nobody's suggested that here so far. She's had calipers go bad on her car before, and she says that's what it sounds like. What would I even look for? and what goes bad??

Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

Nah i doubt its the caliper. You would see obvious signs of that were the case. If this were me i would do the following.

New rotors and pads.
Check brake fluid.

Are u sure u are putting the rotors and pads on right? If not, i will go get a bigger memory chip for my digi and take a DIY video on installing brake pads and rotors.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs
and her diagnosis is: BAD CALIPER. I know nobody's suggested that here so far. She's had calipers go bad on her car before, and she says that's what it sounds like. What would I even look for? and what goes bad??
I don't think it's a bad caliper, but to answer your question:

The thing that goes on a caliper is the seal for the piston. That seal keeps the brake fluid from leaking out between the piston and the cylinder in the caliper. You can buy rebuild kits for calipers.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Ok. If anything looks seriously wrong, I'll be back with pictures.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default I FIXED IT!

I FIXED IT!

[insert cheering and clapping here]

This was one of those cases where the simplest explanation is the right one. I had the wrong brake pads, again, I guess Advance Auto Parts sold me the wrong ones twice because they are jerks. I went to another store to see what they had, and got the exact same size/shape pads, but thinner. See the pics below, the Wearever Gold pads were too thick, and the Raybestos ones were fine. So with the new pads and new rotors, the noise is gone and everything is back to normal.

I tried sanding down the thick pads, but the problem was that in the battle of brake pads vs. sandpaper, the brake pads won. I burned through 4 sheets of 80 grit and barely made a dent in one pad. There didn't seem to be anything glaringly wrong with the pads when I took them off, but I guess the lesson is that you really do need to replace everything at once. It took me a month but I did it! Thanks everyone for your advice and whatnot, I want to buy you all ice cream.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/C8A58CCB23F84D00AD52A6AD784AFAB7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/7B5548DE8175410D8142038CB1A90F35.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/F8BB71EF3FEE4C0B9D87F92DCB445796.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I FIXED IT!

And thus concludes HCF's biggest mystery. Next we'll tackle: SRI or CAI

PS. I sooooo should have written "Annoying brake noise" on your Ricer Citation, brain fart.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: I FIXED IT!

ORIGINAL: amg6975

And thus concludes HCF's biggest mystery. Next we'll tackle: SRI or CAI
Not touching that one

Quick Reply: Brake noise FIXED