HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   Brake rotors - drilled or slotted? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/brake-rotors-drilled-slotted-74589/)

reaper2022 04-07-2009 12:59 PM

I'd just like to point out that drilled and slotted rotors both have less surface area than a blank rotor, meaning there's actually less braking force generated. When you're braking hard enough to glaze the pads over (road racing/autocross), slotted rotors are nice because they actually take a little bit of the pad off with each rotation of the rotor. However, drilled rotors (even ones from companies like Brembo) are fairly easy to crack, and the holes really do nothing; after all, what's there to vent? If you want cooler-running brakes, get larger rotors that have higher surface areas; a higher surface area translates to more cooling.

addiction2bass 04-07-2009 01:13 PM

ya but bigger brakes cost ALOT MORE!!!!!!! for my truck its either the rotors for 250 or the BBU $2,600 2 large pistons or $4,000 6 piston....
um ill stick with the 250 ones.LOL maybe if i had won the lottery id buy the 2 large piston BBkit but i dont see that happening.LOL

i hopefully wont have to use there # 50,000 mile warranty against cracking and warping.

but if i do no problem with getting some new ones. installing them is pretty easy on my truck.

my 99 civic had some drilled rotors on it wheni got it and they never cracked.... they did have some ugly rust along the drilled spots and rotor ends. nothing a wire brush and black caliper paint didnt make purty again ;)

jpnolan 04-07-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx (Post 634671)
I've heard otherwise.

? go on.... Do you have a write up or is this just what you heard?

mudferret 04-07-2009 02:35 PM

A lot of places won't put slotted rotors on the lathe, so given a choice between the two I'd go with cross drilled. I suppose you could buy cheap slotted ones and just throw them away when they're not true anymore...but that seems like a waste.

Brembo blanks + Hawk pads is what I run on my 4runner, and had on my Tacoma, will be doing the same to the Civic when it comes time.

addiction2bass 04-07-2009 03:27 PM

well MOST rotors can be saved just by the owner geting there pads changed before they run into the rivets and start grinding on them.... i always replace my brake pads when they are ruffly under 1/2way worn down when i look at them. its just cheap insurance to keeping your rotors in best shape. plus the more pad thickness ya got the longer they will last.... i dont wait until they start grinding like some people do.

trustdestruction 04-08-2009 04:21 PM

get blanks

ej6buddy 04-08-2009 05:14 PM

blanks, more surface area than drilled or slotted, plus better conductive heat dissipation due to more rotor material. If you do decide on drilled, make sure the holes are chamfered for the brake pad material. If anything, just upgrade to larger rotors and calipers from another honda or acura model as well as the master cylinder and perhaps proportioning valve. then maybe ss lines if you perhaps participate in several autocross events or track time trials.

conceptualpolymer 04-08-2009 07:47 PM

If you rack up the miles on your car, blanks are best. However, if you drive infrequently, slotted rotors, especially high-quality ones like PowerSlots (cadmium-plated) are best. As was mentioned, the pads stay fresh, so glazing won't ever reduce braking ability. Both the Viper ACR track car (600 HP) and the new Cadillac CTS-V (560 HP) come from the factory with slotted-only rotors. Drilled are bling-only and offer no performance gain at all.

the_honda_guy 04-11-2009 06:49 PM

Definitely go with the blanks, preferably Brembo's.

Cross-drilled brake do have a tendency to crack along the drilled holes, and slotted brakes will eat pads fast. Also, blanks do in fact have more surface area to grasp the brake pad. If you notice NASCAR and F1 race cars use blanks. The only time I've been able to fade brake pads on a car was with crap pads from Advance Auto running oversized rims. As soon as I changed to new Brembo blanks, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, bled the brakes and refilled with Castrol GTLMA I had not one issue since. Most of the time the problem lies in the fact that you're using **** brake pads. Also, the slotted have a tendency to warp much faster than the blanks due to not being able to dissipate heat as well due to less surface area. I myself would NEVER turn slotted or cross-drilled brakes on a lathe because of the way they are constructed.

conceptualpolymer 04-16-2009 06:51 PM

Actually, good slotted rotors dissipate heat faster than OEM blanks and relieve gases that build up between the pad and the rotor surface. Rotors like PowerSlots will look nicer far longer than OEMs because of that cad-plating. A rotor's design can make a big difference between a dangerous one and one that'll last a lifetime. Cryo rotors, for instance, are more resistant to warping and wearing because of their extra hard surface.