Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
HCF Member
Default Brake troubles

Ok so last year, arroudn this time, i had to get my passenger from caliper replaced, cause it was seizing and caused the rotor to warp, so i replaced that, the rotors, and the pads. Now I ma having the same issue with the same caliper, i don't know if it is seizing, but the rotor is now warped again, and today it got so hot that when i got home there was smoke comming off of them, and the wheel was hotter then hell. if i spray water on the wheel it is like when you spray water on a heated element on the stove. same thing.

Now anyone have any idea why this would happen again on the same spot, even after i replaced the caliper?. the drivers side is fine, i can literally touch the wheel and it isn't even warm. any imput? i originally thought that it could be the brake booster, my step brother thought that the rear wheels weren't set right, but that was before today so now i know that it is the same thing. [:@]... i totally cannot afford this right now too[:@][:@]

Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake troubles

I'll have to check my service manual, but there may be a proportional valve that has failed. Another possibility is that air is getting in the brake lines. When the air heats up, it expands and may nudge the pads against the rotor.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

see i would say the air thing maybe, but after i replaced the rotors and caliper it was fine, till now that is. i figure the cold of the winter kept it fine till now

Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 PM

when was the last time you changed your brake fluid?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

Changing? as in completely drain the system and start with fresh stuff.... never, but i don't seem to have any leaks of any sort. so i can't really see that as an issue... either way i am gonna try and take it to the shop tomorrow and have it looked at. depends on how busy my stepbrother is

Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

Did you replace the caliper yourself or did you have someone else do it? It sounds like the slidepins in the caliper weren't properly lubed when installing the new caliper. I'd pull it off and check. You may be able to salvage the pads and caliper, by just replacing the rotor.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

Good point about the slide pins; I forgot about that. Really, I think taking a good look is the best thing to do as a first step.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 AM
HCF Member

I was there when they replaced the caliper, i get all my work done at my stepfathers shop, well other then the work i do myself, and i do it there. Turns out it appears to be the flex tube taht is causing the issue, we took the caliper off and tried depressinf the piston and it wouldn't budge, we opened the bleeder valve and it went it with barely any force.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 AM

My thought was something clogging/restricting the line.

You should flush your brake fluid every 30,000 miles according to Honda, althoughI wouldn't drain it (as you stated above), I would just bleed them until new fluid comes out at each brake. You'd be suprised how nasty that **** gets, not to mention that it absorbs moisture which could cause other issues down the line.

Seems like a real inexpensive way to be proactive and avoid issues with such an important part of your vehicle. Just my $.02.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

I agree. Don't forget power steering fluid as well (if applicable).