Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake walkthroughs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Default Brake walkthroughs ?

I looked for a bit for a walkthrou on Brake changes. I must be not doing it correctly.
I have a 99 Si and I am looking to save a buc and increase my knowledge a bit more with my ride.
I am looking to change my rotors and pads myself with Brembo and Hawk pads. I usually send it to my local shop and pay 110 - this time my company shorted my stips and well no bonuses.
So I figure this is a good way to save. I usually do what I can myself but with safty as a issue (my 5 year old daughter) BRAKES I did not really want to mess with.
SO my question is = is there a good walkthrough with changing Rotors and Pads, ???
-Bill

Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake walkthroughs ?

Its sooo easy ill give u a walk thru......Youll need a Socket Wrench, Large C Clamp, and thats it.

Step 1) Remove the Brake Fluid Res Top (just take off the lid)
Step 2) Take off the wheels....use the C Clamps to squeese the calipers...make it so the tightening lever is towards u. Twist it until the caliper compresses itself.
Step 3) There are a few screws holding it on......remove them and Hang The caliper from the wheel well using a wire hanger (so u dont damage the brake lines)
Step 4) Remove the remain of the caliper by removing the 2 other screws.
Step 5) Remove the pads.......theyll practically fall out.
Step 6) Take off rotor.....that too will fall out....if there are 4 little philips screws holdin it on....drill thru em.....theyre just there if the rotors are the original ones from the factory......theyre just used to hold the rotor on durin the cars stay on the ASSEMBLY LINE
Step 7) Replace old rotor with new ones......same **** for pads.
Step 8) Just put everything back where u found it...........
Step 9) Dont flip when u step on the brake pedal and it SINKS TO THE FLOOR.....it re sets itself.

For more help just go to Pep boys of Autozone or some **** and get a Haynes manual....welll worth the 16$......thats how i learned how to do my brakes and its SOOOO worth it.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake walkthroughs ?

get a haynes manual, then follow the directions. it makes it simple, and you will use it a lot.