Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

camber kit alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default camber kit alternative

While looking at some of the slammed cars over on jdmcivic.com, I came across one post where the user said he didn't have a camber kit, so to cope with the tire wear he let 3psi out of both the front tires and said he has better tread wear than ever now (not to mention he still has negative camber so he doesn't rub). Just thought I'd throw that out there for anybody who might be interested. I know in the spring when I put my Ground Controls back on, I'm definitely dropping the pressure in my tires (then again, I like to tuck the tires, so I need negative camber)[8D]

linky (it's the second to last post on that page... the green 5th gen hatch)

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Default RE: camber kit alternative

well it depends on what he was originally running before. by dropping the pressure, he isnt really getting rid of camber wear, he's just wearing a little more towards the center of the tire and the outside of the tire due to under inflation.

u can see the comparison between the under inflated tire and the camber worn tire.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

either way... make sure your toe is right......
and be prepared to buy new tires

Old 01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, I know... I'm going to get it aligned within a week of lowering it again this time... my Coopers lasted about 3 months with it slammed last summer, but that was without an alignment (long story, but I had a reason) lol

Old 01-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

no ya dont.LOL no reason not to pay some cash to get an alignment... unless your adjusters where frozen like mine... which took alot more work to replace.LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

okay, here it goes then...

When I put the front springs on, I was expecting to get the rears done that same day and get and alignment in a week or two after the springs had settled... well, sure enough, I had problems with the LCA bolts in back. So around 11:30 PM, I said f*** it and started putting the car back together so I could drive home. Then, I went on vacation for 2 weeks with my car sitting in the driveway (yeah, I counted that 2 weeks in the "3 months" thing).. after vacation, I went to the nearest H-badge dealership and ordered what I thought to be the bolts I needed. Wrong, I ordered the LCA bolts (which were not) frozen instead of the shock-mount bolts which were frozen. At the same time, I ordered the LCA bushings from Summit Racing. Well, a week passed before I got the bolts/bushings and realized my mistake. So then I did some research, ordered the right parts, etc. That was another week or two. Then it took me I don't even know how long to get the rears on because of the damn bolts being seized (ended up cutting the mounting tabs for the shocks off lol)... Then by the time I got the rears on, I figured screw the alignment because I knew I'd be raising the car up (and needing another alignment) in less than a month.

Now that the bolts/bushings are all new in back, it should be a 2 hour install when I go back to reinstall them... I'll probably do it on a friday and make an appointment on monday (meaning a week or so before I get it aligned)

Old 01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL ya i remember all your problems....
one good thing about me having pleanty of tools and a backup vehicle i got mine done preaty quickly....
i had to do the lca strut bushings as well... tho when i traded friend for his stock setup i just swaped LCAs with the struts on his... so he got the new bushings... so MOST LIKELY when i do get my air suspension pieced together enough to bolt on.... im preaty sure ill have to do the same thing again... BUT at least this time i know i shouldnt have end bushings frozen and i know my toe adjusters wont be a problem since i already instaled aftermarket adjusters only thing i have to replace is that LCA strut bushing and then rear camber arms preaty minor...