Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

can u mix springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
Default can u mix springs?

Been searching around online trying to find the best deals. So far I am pretty set on either the Blues, or the Illuminas, however I really feel that if I got the illuminas I would probably never adjust them, so it would end up being more money for nothing.

My question is, can u mix and match springs safely. In other words, maybe a set of Tein H-tech 1.1" rear springs, and S-tech 1.8" front, giving the car more of a sloping look.

Also, if I were to just get a complete set of H-techs, 1.3 - 1.1, and see how I liked it about an inch lower, then decided to upgrade later to the S-techs 1.9 - 1.7, would it be harmful to the struts themselves? in other words, once you break em into a certain spring, if you make a height adjustment via spring later, will the struts still perform to the same specs?

I am still awful worried about my rubbing, thats why i am curious. I might just want to try the H-techs first to make sure I won't bottom out. Plus I am going to be adding some body items in the future, and I would like to play it safe.

Any input would be awesome. Thanks guys, I couldn't have done half of what I have to my ride without your support!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: can u mix springs?

I would just go with H-techs. I dont get how your fenders are about the same level as your tires with stock springs. Everyone else who puts aftermarket wheels on there car with stock springs rides so high. But NO on the mixing springs, each spring has different spring rates and handle different..plues is will be hard tofind just 2. But dontdo it. Go with a mild drop if your worried like H-techs.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

My question is, can u mix and match springs safely. In other words, maybe a set of Tein H-tech 1.1" rear springs, and S-tech 1.8" front, giving the car more of a sloping look.
Generally speaking, I don't see why not. Racers mix and match springs all the time to tweak the handling. But you have to consider the spring rates. The Tein springs aren't very stiff (see here: http://www.tein.com/honda.html), and like OEM springs the rears are softer than the front. With the mix you are suggesting, the rears will be even softer. The ride will be less "sporty"

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

in other words, once you break em into a certain spring, if you make a height adjustment via spring later, will the struts still perform to the same specs?
Never heard of "breaking in" shocks. Any shocks are capable of controlling a certain range of spring rates. As long as you are within that range you should be fine

Consider adjustable shocks, they will allow you to tweak the rebound, and to a degree, compensate for the softer springs

Old 03-17-2007, 09:29 PM

yes u can mismatch springs, but i wouldnt do it. different spring rates could give u some sloppy handling... wut size wheel/tire are u running? with either of the Tien sets ur talking about, u shouldnt have rubbing issues unless u have the wrong tire on. i'd recommend decent sleeves with some decent shocks like Tokico Illumina's and Skunk2 coilovers. might cost a bit more but it'll handle better, look better, and u can adjust the height to w/e fits u best(can also keep from rubbing if set higher). just wait and save up to get something u'll be 100% happy with for a long while..

Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys.

I will probably just save up for some illuminas or something, and maybe just try the S techs, or I hear neuspeed had springs that are pretty decent as well. Suspension for me will probably be a 1 year plan, since I will be upgrading just about everything.

hopefully I won't need new cambers and all of that, but I guess we will see. I plan to put them on myself and save some mega bucks.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

if you look in the right places illuminas will be no more expensive than HP's.

as a personal prefrence...i would never get teins for performance.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

Ok, another question thats somewhat related.

Would it be better to purchase a full set of coilovers, for example, the Tein full setups with matched spring/strut combos, or mix and match struts and springs, like the HP/S-tech mix?

The full sets are mega pricey, I really wonder if there is that much of a difference in ride quality.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny
as a personal prefrence...i would never get teins for performance.
lol nail you have always been anti-s-tehcs.

and Stu, dont coilovers usually include hte springs with them already? Personanyl i wouldnt mix match brands, if you stick to one brand it seems like they would work better together.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

It seems like a set of full coilovers might be better suited to what you're looking for. It'll give you all the adjustment you need, without worry of rubbing, or handling problems from mixing springs. I think Ksports for your car are under $600 from JLB.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

I am just learning about this stuff, lol. Sorry for my ignorance.

I just hate to dish out the extra $$ for a 1-2" drop. I might just end up doing blues with H-techs and going 1.1 and 1.3, and I guess if I don't like the quality or anything I can always sell em to someone else and keep my stockers.

I really don't know how many options I have for springs. I know there is H&R, Skunk2, Tein, Nuespeed. Is there a killer brand I am missing in my search?

Thanks guys, your really helping me with the suggestions.