Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Clicking when turning

Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Default Clicking when turning

Just recently I noticed that when I make a sharp turn I hear a clicking in the front passenger side. It does it no matter which way I turn but only when I turn sharply, turning a corner isn't sharp enough to make it happen. Could this be a cv joint problem and if so how hard is this to do?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Clicking when turning

its pretty simple to do if you have basic mechanical knowledge. for the first time expect to spend up to 4 hours trying to read and take it slow. you will need a ball joint seperator

Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 AM
mxs
HCF Member

it's pretty easy with the right tools.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 AM
HCF Member

^ agreed. And for the record, you have a CV joint problem. Make sure the boot is ok too and replace if they are ripped.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

mine just started to do that too, is it common for the cv joint to go after 9 years?

andhow much would it cost for a mechanic to fix it?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

Yes it is common... i believe you replace them after every 70k miles. If a mechanic were to do it, I think its like $70-80 a wheel.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

it's best/easiest/safest to just change the whole axle. If you catch it when the boot tears you can replace the boot. But once it starts to make noise the joint is shot.

I just did one on my Legacy, the axle was $59. And when I say I did it, I mean my friend did it, and it took him under an hour.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 PM

word, i'd just replace the axel if i were u...i did it a few months ago, wasnt to difficult and wasnt very expensive either. i wrote up a DIY for it but it never got posted...if u want it and need any help just PM me and ill do my best to help[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

it's best/easiest/safest to just change the whole axle. If you catch it when the boot tears you can replace the boot. But once it starts to make noise the joint is shot.

I just did one on my Legacy, the axle was $59. And when I say I did it, I mean my friend did it, and it took him under an hour.
i really do not know much about suspension, so what is the "boot" and how much more would it cost to replace the axle instead of replacing the cv joint?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

Its not too hard. The only tools you need is ratchet set,ball joint seperator, breaker bar, impact gun (makes it alot easier), big screw driver. Basically you have to remove the axle nut, remove or disconnect the steering knuckle. This will allow you you get the axle out of the knuckle side. Take the screwdriver and pop the tranny side of the axle out. Put the axle back in and reinstall the axle nut and steering knuckle. I did it on my accord a while back. It wasn't too difficult except i busted one of the tranny seals when i was putting the axle back in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking when turning