Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Clueless about Wheels/Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Default Clueless about Wheels/Rims

Hey all, i just bought a 2 door, 2000 civic and I wanted to put 17 inch wheels on. Its not just for the look, the old ones are rusted all over and the tires are all worn down to steel anyhow. Im looking for gunmetal rims with a chrome lip all around b/c my car is black and I figure it will look real good like that. But I don't know what company to get. I checked ebay and I can get just rims for $500 but is Motegi a good company? What about buddy club? And if they say these wheels fit a civic but don't say anything about coupe or ex, does it matter? I really don't want to get stuck with the wrong size rims.
I'm going to drive very little but when I do drive it will not be for racing, but regular driving on rough potholed streets in Brooklyn so I don't want it to fall apart easily. Basically, I'm looking for good solid Nike's, but not Nike Air Jordans infused with million dollar technology. Anyone selling such rims by any chance?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Clueless about Wheels/Rims

bump? any advice? anything?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

if it says it will fit a civic, it should fit your EX. Look for a bolt pattern of 4x100, if thats what they are, then yes they will fit. If you're looking for a smooth ride under rough conditions, its best to go with 16's or 15's. Especially if theres lots of potholes and what not like you said, theres a good chance 17s will end up getting bent or damaged in some way. Hope this helps

Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 PM

Yeah, if you go 17 inch then you have a good chance of bending them. The larger series (sidewall) the tire the more protction you will have.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 AM

thanks for the advice! now ill get 16's and those type tires! damn i love this forum - people keep saving my car!

Old 07-12-2005, 05:17 AM

ive been reading about tire aspect ratios and it says what you said, LevIII. It says that "If the sidewall height of at ire is reduced slightly, the sidewall stiffness is increased greatly." and greater stiffness means less cushion and a harsher ride but a wider footprint and better handling. Since im not racing, ill get a tire with greater sidewall height for the protection. I had really hoped to get 17s but im sure 16s will also look good and i wont always have to be worrying.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:01 PM

Pls do a search before you post, this questions has been ask many time. I think we should sticky about rims and what size to get.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:44 PM

If you actually read the post you would realize that I was asking a few specific questions about which rims to get, not 'what rims are good?' or something inane like that. Please read the post before making suggestions next time.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 PM
mxs
HCF Member

superso -- I'm putting 16s on my 99 2 door sometime this week, I'll post pics when it's done.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 PM

in response to the quality of motegi's. I have a set of 17" mr7's. a few things i noticed right off, slightly slower acceleration off the line (these rims weigh around 50 pounds a piece with tires, thats heavy. they do ride more than slightly rougher than stock with the low profile tires. they are kinda cheap. usually you get what you pay for though. on the upside, they corner great (with the tires I have anyway), they look nice at first glance (completely fills my fender well on my 91 hatchback that is also lowered), and as I said before are cheap. so if you want a strong, cheap rim that doubles as commuter, and stunting rim they are the way to go.