Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
HCF Member
Default coilover question

I'm on S techs right now with factory struts and shocks and I'm not too happy with the drop because I have 17 inch rims and 40 tires
If i get tein coil overs, do I have to worry about blown shocks or struts? I know Tein reccomends and tried all their springs on factory shocks/struts but I am still scared that I might wake up to blown shocks/struts. Some people say don't get aftermarket shocks/struts (looking at tokico blues which are supposed to lower my car a bit further) but Im not sure about strut or whatever, so if someone can clarify that would be great.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
March 2010 ROTM
Default RE: coilover question

Whats wrong with the drop you have with the S-Techs? I have the same rim and tire set up as you and im about to go with some S-Techs and Tokico HPs. Ive read that you can get about an inch lower out of the shocks and 1.5 out of the springs. And usually stock shocks/struts are ok if your not lowering more than 1.5 inchs. But if you go with coils and go lower, youll need new shocks.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: coilover question

If i get tein coil overs, do I have to worry about blown shocks or struts?
- no, Teins full coilover setups work just fine. the shocks are dampened to match their spring rates, u wont have to worry about a thing.
Some people say don't get aftermarket shocks/struts (looking at tokico blues which are supposed to lower my car a bit further) but Im not sure about strut or whatever, so if someone can clarify that would be great.
- aftermarket shocks have nothing to do with the height of the car(unless their Koni yellows), springs lower a car. depending on how low u go, something better than the Tokico Blues may be a wise choice. say Koni Reds, Tokico Illuminas or KYB AGXs. the Illuminas and AGXs would be a better choice due to adjustabilty which can make for a smoother ride or offer slightly better handling with the twist of a ****. they'll also be better dampened than the Tokico Blues so spring choice wouldnt really matter(meaning a higher spring rate and springthat drops the car 2" wont wear them out as fast as the blues).