Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Coilovers?

I'm looking into coilovers. I'm getting some money soon so I need to fix my suspension, either replace the stock oem struts and shocks, buy lowering springs, or coilovers. I want to drop the car about an inch, maybe 2. So OEM struts and shocks are out of the question.. With lowering springs you get a set drop and thats it, as far as I know. And I heard your tires will rub and all kinds of other things.. But with coilovers, to my understanding you can adjust them to any dropped height? or is it preset? Or what? I'm not sure if you will still have the tire rubbing problem or not.. I have a $700 budget on these, I don't want to spend all my money on the, but I really want some good ones. I heard Groundcontrol are good coilovers, but I want to know what you guys think.. so comments?

Joe

Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

**BUMP**

Need some suggestions. I'm looking at some Megan Racing coilovers, my friend has em and says he like them. Any comments on that? And my stepdad said when I put the coilovers on I will have to replace the whole suspension system, camber kit, etc. Is that true? And if it is, what kind of stuff should I get?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Springs and Coilovers lowered to the same height will not be different from each other with rubbing. If it rubs with springs, it will rub with coilovers set to the same height.

Coilovers give you full control over height adjustability (within a range, determined by design and manufacturer).

Megan Racing makes pretty cheap stuff. Their header is decent (not the greatest but decent), and their other simple parts like short shifter and strut bars are decent, but I wouldn't cheap out on suspension. With suspension, you want to spend at least a little more money than that and get something of quality. Ground Control coilovers seems to be what I see recommended the most. You can also opt for full coilovers, which is a all-in-one unit that includes the coilover spring and shock (with coilover perch threads built into the shock body), and you won't have to buy separate shocks and sleeve-type coilovers. Sleeved coilovers include a metal, threaded sleeve that the coilover perch rests on, which slides over a regular shock, and the coilover springs.

here is a DIY on coilover sleeves https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=63294

You don't need a camber kit if you only lower it about an inch (although it might be slightly out of alignment specs, it shouldn't be enough to cause uneven wear). Once you go above a 1.5" drop though you'll be pushing it and you'll most likely see uneven wear. Front camber tends to be more easily affected than the rear, and at a 2" drop you will likely only need a front camber kit. Rear won't get far enough out of spec to justify getting one. I recommend the Buddy Club front camber kit... it's really nice quality, comes with nice ball joints, has reinforced adjustment bolt areas, and is not that expensive either.

if you get sleeved coilovers, you'll need coilovers and shocks. If you get full coilovers, you'll just need the full coilovers (since they are coilover spring and shock in one unit). You'll also need camber kit, at your discretion... it's up to you. I recommend it, after I ended up having very uneven tire wear at 2" drop and buying a front camber kit (and new tires since i needed them) eliminated any signs of uneven wear.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 12-06-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM
HCF Member

Ok thanks trust. So if I bought these What else would I need? And what's the difference in these? Which would you recommend getting?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM

That second link isn't really full coilovers. Don't believe everything you read on ebay, general rule of thumb. There's no difference in what comes with those kits except that they are different brands and thus different spring rates and such.

I haven't heard anything good about skunk2 coilovers though

Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I haven't heard anything good about skunk2 coilovers though
This. At best, I've heard the spring rates are too low (which they are comparatively low).

I'd recommend Ground Control sleeves with KONI "Yellow" struts. On a budget, you could get cheaper struts, but I've heard very good things about the GC/Yellow combination. I had Ground Control coilovers and KYB AGX struts on my old civic and can vouch for Ground Control making a very good product for the money.

*edit: And since I love bringing this point up, I lowered my civic between 3" and 3.5" in front and between 3.5" and 4" in back, running -3.0° of camber at all four corners. I had a toe alignment done and had no noticeable uneven tire wear after 10,000 miles when I sold the wheels and tires. The year before, however, I was at the same ride height without an alignment being done at all (I never got around to it); the front tires were showing cords on the inside within 3,000 miles.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
*edit: And since I love bringing this point up, I lowered my civic between 3" and 3.5" in front and between 3.5" and 4" in back, running -3.0° of camber at all four corners. I had a toe alignment done and had no noticeable uneven tire wear after 10,000 miles when I sold the wheels and tires. The year before, however, I was at the same ride height without an alignment being done at all (I never got around to it); the front tires were showing cords on the inside within 3,000 miles.
I still don't know how you got that lucky. I had an alignment with toe set to 0º but -2-2.5º camber and my tires only lasted about 10k miles if that... which is why I recommend at least a front camber kit for any substantial drop

Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd say it was probably a mix of the tires I was running (Cooper Zeon ZPT's... 380 treadwear rating, so they weren't the softest things ever) and tire pressure.

I know if you run a little less tire pressure it'll allow more of the tire to maintain contact with the ground, lessening the pressure applied to the inside edge of the tires, meaning more even tire wear at the expense of tire longevity (but not by much).

Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Look into Progress coilovers

http://www.progressauto.com/products...D2/34/sfID3/35

Good company, suspension products, spring rates on their coilovers, & good price.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 AM
HCF Member

I have a $700 budget... And don't want to spend all my money on the,. I know you don't want to cheap out, but I need other things too.. That are necessary. Same for the coilovers or suspension...

Edit: Would this be a good one? http://www.progressauto.com/products.../productID/595

Quick Reply: Coilovers?