Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels
Reload this Page >

Desperately need help with rim offset/selection for 05 civic

Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately need help with rim offset/selection for 05 civic

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Smile Desperately need help with rim offset/selection for 05 civic

ok guys, I have a 2005 honda civic DX sedan. Im not sure what my stock offset is. Im interested in getting 17" Enkei J10's (silver). I want the rims to sit flush with my wheel well. The j10's come with a 42 offset. I want the 17's to look as good as possible. I dont plan on lowering it, but its an option. ANYONE PLEASE HELP, thanks.

P.S I'm a complete newbie.

i want the widest tires i can fit without rubbing or looking ridiculous. Also wondering if its possible to throw rims and tires on my car without throwing my speedo off. one more thing. { the tire options for these rims are 215/40/17 or 205/45/17 } im looking to get them wrapped from wheelsnext.com

Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Stock offset is ~40-45

Bigger tires/wheels will technically throw off the speedo. Not much you can do about it from what I have seen.

Not to sound condescending in any way, but to you know what offset is exactly? The more offset, the more the "middle" of the wheel comes out and vice versa. That is very basic wording for offset if anything.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

I can't really help you on which offset to go with, or what the widest tire that will fit. But if you know your stock tire size, you can use this to calculate what wheel/tire combination will give you the same (or similar) overall diameter as what you have now. That way, your speedometer (and gearing) will stay the same, or you'll at least know how much it'll be incorrect.

The other thing I'll add is that if you're going with an aftermarket wheel, I HIGHLY recommend getting hub-centric rings for the wheels, if they're available. These fit inside the center bore of the wheel, and fit around the hubs on your car. They help center the wheel, and will cut down on vibration. I imagine the ones you want are probably the same as the ones I got for my Enkei RPF1s, which were stupidly cheap at $3 each. Well worth the cost.

Last edited by ChristianL; 02-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

I know exactly what a offset is. I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to tires ect.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianL View Post
I can't really help you on which offset to go with, or what the widest tire that will fit. But if you know your stock tire size, you can use this to calculate what wheel/tire combination will give you the same (or similar) overall diameter as what you have now. That way, your speedometer (and gearing) will stay the same, or you'll at least know how much it'll be incorrect.

The other thing I'll add is that if you're going with an aftermarket wheel, I HIGHLY recommend getting hub-centric rings for the wheels, if they're available. These fit inside the center bore of the wheel, and fit around the hubs on your car. They help center the wheel, and will cut down on vibration. I imagine the ones you want are probably the same as the ones I got for my Enkei RPF1s, which were stupidly cheap at $3 each. Well worth the cost.
That website helped me decide on the tires im getting. Thanks for the reply