Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

DIY brakes: part one [help]

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: DIY brakes: part one

wait, is it mustangs and stuff that you are refering to as domestic? is that normal in canada? thats odd.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons
wait, is it mustangs and stuff that you are refering to as domestic? is that normal in canada? thats odd.
Yes, Fords, GMs, Chryslers.......
It's easy to remove the caliper and the brake pads come clipped in the caliper. Then simply unclip the pads from the caliper, replace with new pads, squeeze the piston in with a C-clamp, then slide the new pads (that are already in the caliper) onto the rotor. You get more space between the pads this way.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 PM

On the Mustang the inner pad has 3 fingers that slip into the caliper piston cavity prior to install on the rotor. The bad thing about the Mustang is the Torx bolts holding the caliper on. Your first brake change, from the factory built car, your gonna bust a few bits. It seems they thought it was a great idea to use Locktite to hold the caliper locating pins in place. A lil bit of anti-seize and I've never had a problem since.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: DIY brakes: part one [help]

im pretty sure she did that. it said something to that effect in there.
im pretty sure she jsut depressed the brakes before she took the caliper off. When u take the caliper off the new pads wont fit because its depresed to the level of the worn pads, maybe ur right sacs.....but im sure shed be happy with an easy fix.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:56 AM

I think they would fit on if the pads were clipped into the caliper before installing anything onto the rotor.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was out of town for the weekend & just got back.

Pcupo, I swear I really did push the piston back in all the way. At first I did do it with the old pads on, but then once I had it all apart I put the clamp right on the edge of the piston and pushed it in so it was flush with the body of the caliper.

Sacicons, I hadn't considered the garage floor! My friend told me I should be able to just take the pads to a belt sander and get them 1/16" thinner. That ought to fix it. I might wait a while though.

p.s. thanks to whoever moved this thread here.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

im pretty sure she did that. it said something to that effect in there.
im pretty sure she jsut depressed the brakes before she took the caliper off. When u take the caliper off the new pads wont fit because its depresed to the level of the worn pads, maybe ur right sacs.....but im sure shed be happy with an easy fix.
When trying to help someone out, it's always nice to read what they have to say.

ORIGINAL: mxs
and I did back the piston all the way back into the caliper

Old 05-04-2007, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

This is some funny stuff guys...I have been going through the same things the past4 weeks. If i could take those two weeks back i would have just taken the car to a shop and have them do it. Listen to this story...

Ok...stupid ole me was taking a curve at 60 and curbed my right front side. Got out of the car and found out my whole right front rotor and caliper shattered. After 4 days of sitting and 2 tickets i finally pushed the hatch into my driveway which first had to go up a very steep hill with a flat tire and a dead battery. I finally got the car jacked up and took apart the brake system (Caliper, rotor, brake lines etc.) A couple days later i went to the part store (AAP) and ordered a new rotor and caliper because they didnt have it in stock. The parts finally arrived after 4 days so i went to pick them up. Everything was going good until i arrived home and my car was GONE. I thought at first it was stolen but then i came to my senses and realized there was no possible way that someone would have taken the time to take the car off the jack and put the car back together again. Plus my fuel cutoff switch was on so i pretty much ruled that out. I called my apartment manager and he told me he had it towed because it was illegally parked and was endangering the kids because it was on jacks. So i payed 120 dollars to get the car out of the impound. Keep in mind the car was not in drivable condition. The manager must have had someone take it off the jack put the tire on with no rotor or caliper and had it towed. They also threw all my nuts and bold and tools into my car that ended up under my seat and all over the place. So i get to the impound right before they close and they tow the car around and say have it off our property before the night ends or we will have to put it right back in and charge you another 120 plus 30/day for storage. I brought the new parts i had purchased and planned on putting them on so i could drive it home. But my plan didnt work out because i ordered a rotor and caliper for EG hatch but i was unaware that the hatch had a brake conversion for a 95 GSR. Thank you previous seller for telling me this. So i had to throw what was left of the old caliper and rotor back on. I get that make my way to the nearest gas station to fill up the flat tire. It gets about halfway filled up and literally blows up. LOUD AS HELL by the way. So after about 37 people got their stare out of the way i had to call a towing service (The place that towed the hatch from my apartment) to tow it back to my house. It now sits in the garage still caliper and rotorless because AAP cannot get the parts right. I have been there at least 4 times this week alone. I ordered a caliper for a 95 gsr and they didnt tell me it was an unloaded caliper so i had to buy pads and a bracket for it. That order was screwed up twice and it still sits in my garage. I did buy new tires which went good, no problems. What a month...spent way too much money on pointless stuff that could have been avoided. A lot of mistakes on my part as well as the incompitant employees at AAP. Next time its going to the shop.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

My front brake pads dont fit period. i think my calipers are screwed up cause the thickness of new pads doesnt allow that damn caliper bolt to line up. I'll be trying again tommorow[:@]

Old 05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Where are all the Zombies? cause this is one major thread from the dead...