Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

driving on ice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM
HCF Member
Default driving on ice?

its the best i can describe how my car now handles, driving on ice. i just went and had new tires installed for the rear only, the fronts only a month old. when i went to the shop my car was steady as allways. when i left it was like the car was not in sync and the steering extremely loose and easy, as if a rear tire were flat at high speed just before it shreads itself to peices. i pulled over and the rear tires are inflated and stable, lugnuts tight, all good. but the front, i dont know, i grab a wheel, one hand in front, and one in back, and move the tire left, right, left, right..... and there is considerable movement, but the steering wheel is also moving, so its not freeplay. what is it though? im not comfortable/confident in its handling all of a sudden. any of you guys ever had an experience like this? what caused it.? im so baffled i'm open to guesses

Old 04-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: driving on ice?

U sure nobody dropped ur car? I know a guy who had his truck dropped from the lift...suspension messed up and all other good stuff. Look for obvious signs of damage first on the suspension parts.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:48 AM
HCF Member

hmmmmmmn possibly ****ty tires out back? ie: cheap. i had put new tires on my first crx and it did the same thing, way too unsafe for me. i ended up spending more money on better tires.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Take it back to the shop! The way you describe it, somethin definitely went wrong at that shop.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:52 AM

I agree take it back. It could be something as simple as a balance weight in the wrong spot. Ask the shop if anyone else has experienced this with these tires?

Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

thes are futura gls 195/50/15. ive had them on the front with no problems. so are futura tires cheap or inexpensive?
ORIGINAL: finalimpact

hmmmmmmn possibly ****ty tires out back? ie: cheap. i had put new tires on my first crx and it did the same thing, way too unsafe for me. i ended up spending more money on better tires.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Inexpensive yes, Cheap as in quality I'd have to say no. Many people who have bought them have indicated that they outperform BFG, Goodyear, and Michelins. Possible tire flaw maybe, Take em back and ask them to check em out. Take the service manager for a test drive, if he'll go.lol. Good luck

Old 04-17-2005, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

well i went back, and had no less than three people drive the car,(pays to know management. the newer tires changed the attitude of the suspension just perfect to expose a worn part i had not thought much about..rack and pinion, another set back in my timetable for my engine swap.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Well at least you found the problem. [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 04-17-2005, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

OH! an optimist eh!!! lol. yes i found the problem, and as i type, i am waiting for the phone to ring, i already talked to my salvage freind. he should have atleast one at his shop. would'nt know how to bench test a rack and pinion? would ya?

Quick Reply: driving on ice?