Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

EX vs. LX Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
HCF Member
Default EX vs. LX Suspension

I bought Tokico Blue's off of my friends 02 LX. I have a 01 EX. I put the struts from his car onto mine, and I put my stock springs on to the new struts. It rattles alot when going over bumps. I just bought Skunk2 Coilovers and am wondering if this will fix the rattling noise.

My Ball Joints are good, and so are the bushings so I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

Weird. I have blues on my 01 civic ex coupe
And I'm running them with stock springs and have no rattling herebut mine are designed for 01 ex coupe
i dont know if there is any real difference between the two cars

Old 09-20-2008, 04:52 PM

hmm, rattling could be the stock dust boots, or possibly a/some loose bolt(s).

Also, at the top of the shock/strut assembly, where the top of the springs sits in the strut/shock mount, did you reuse the rubber lining that goes in between the shock/strut mount and the spring? If not, that's probably the cause of your rattling. Those rubber pads are there to prevent rattling.

i don't think there's a difference between the two cars. if there is, i don't think it's a big enough difference to cause rattling.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
HCF Member

I see that the Skunk2 Coilovers I ordered have a bunch of rubber rings...hopefully this will prevent future rattling? What do you all think? By the way is this a good combo (tokico blue's, skunk 2 coilovers; my friend had that setup on his EG and it handled beautifully)

Old 09-22-2008, 06:32 AM

sounds good and all

the thing is, putting those coilovers on isn't going to get rid of the noise you have now.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by johnb
I see that the Skunk2 Coilovers I ordered have a bunch of rubber rings...hopefully this will prevent future rattling? What do you all think? By the way is this a good combo (tokico blue's, skunk 2 coilovers; my friend had that setup on his EG and it handled beautifully)
I've read if you want the best combo you'd want to go Full Coilovers instead of sleeves and struts.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
sounds good and all

the thing is, putting those coilovers on isn't going to get rid of the noise you have now.
the spring is moving around on the strut assembly. if the coilover fits just right, shouldnt that fix the problem?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by johnb
the spring is moving around on the strut assembly. if the coilover fits just right, shouldnt that fix the problem?
if the spring is moving around you're probably missing the rubber spring seats that go at the top of the spring, between the spring and strut mount. putting on the coilovers will not fix this problem.

don't get me wrong though, you already bought the coilovers and it was a good move and all, so install them. i'm just trying to say, when you install the coilovers, make sure you look for the original problem, because changing the coilovers won't fix rattling if you're missing the rubber spring seats.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

^+1
also, who put on the struts?
you or a shop?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

i put them on. we're going to put them on in my auto shop class so hopefully I'll know from there if I need those rubber spring seats.

rubber spring seats + coil overs = is there going to be rattling?

Quick Reply: EX vs. LX Suspension