Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Great new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Great new tires

I recently got new tires for my stock '00 Civic VP sedan. On a recommendation from several on this site, I ordered from www.tirerack.com. I found exactly what I was looking for and ordered it. Shipping took a little longer than I expected, given that they're only like a 2hr drive from here, but their price/selection in stock was much better than anywhere local and it WAS the holiday season.

I got some 14x6 D3 rims and some 195/60R14 Yokohama Avid H4S tires, mounted and balanced with wheel-locks and lugs, shipped to my work for around $600US. I was contemplating holding off on the install because it was raining out, but the rain let up as I was preparing to leave work, so I threw them on in about a 1/2hr. The next morning, my workbuddy came into my office complaining of headache, nausea, blurry vision, dizzyness, and fatigue. I took him to the ER and while I was in the waiting room for him to get tests run, my mom called from TX to tell me that my stepdad had a massive heart attack and passed away, no apparent warning. I settled affairs with my buddy and hopped in the car. 'Headed for TX and got to my mom's just a few hours after my sister and brother-in-law, who flew into DFW from Orlando and rented a minivan for the 2hr drive to my mom's farm. My mom, my grandma, and quite a few others were a bit of a mess. My stepdad was quite a guy, and had seemed as healthy as a horse. We were all in major shock.

That little car spent all last week shuttling me, family, & all of our stuffall over the area ...fog, rain, sleet, ice, dirt roads, crosswinds, twisty&bumpy country roads, high speeds....you name it. Then it blasted me back to Chicago to settle some affairs at home/work and prepare for a return trip to my mom's next weekend so we can set up the farm for smoother 1-person operation. The car deserves some sort of medal or something. Those tires made an unbelievable difference over the previous Goodyear Eagle GTIIs in ride and handling under some seriously adverse conditions. I'm glad I didn't procrastinate with the install.

In hindsight, the tires and rims look/handle much better than the stock 14" steelies with the plastic covers and the 185/60R14 GTIIs, but 15s would probably look/handle evenbetter without giving up much in ride quality. 16s would probably look/handle even better still, but the ride might be somewhat harsher than stock. If you're looking for a great affordable wet-weather all-season tire, these Avid H4Ss seem to be the ticket. Thank you to all who suggested tirerack, and if you're out drinking and having a good time this month, hoist a few pints to a guy who always knew how to have a good time, an Irishman by heritage, an honorable and easygoing Chicago policeman (How rare are THOSE?! I STILL have trouble believing he was a cop for 31yrs!), and someone who will be truly missed by all those who knew him...my stepdad, Marty Touhy.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Default RE: Great new tires

Awesome post.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

Damn man, sorry to hear about the unfortunate events, but glad the tires worked out for ya. I have visited their site before, I have them bookmarked, might have to make my next purchase there.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, heres to Marty Touhy!Andmuch thanks tohimfor hiscontributions to society. My condolences to the family.

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Stinky Administrator

nice post bro my thoughts and prayers are with your family