Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

How to lower.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Default How to lower.

i have a 96' Civic lx and i want to lower it but i am not sure how or what i need to buy i found these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-00...15841990QQrdZ1 )and was not sure if this was all i needed if not let me know what i need thx

Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: How to lower.

there are a couple different ways to lower ur car, using lowering springs, or using sleeve coilovers such as the ones u found. lowering springs is just a coil spring that lowers ur car either from like 1" to 3" or so and u cannot adjust the ride height. sleeve coilovers are a springs with an adjustable perch that will inable u to raise or lower ur car anywhere from about a 0" to 3" drop. adjusting the ride height isa nice advantage, pretty easy, and dosnt take very long to do it. whether u go with just springs or sleeves, i suggest buying new shocks. if u lower with stock shocks, it puts a greater amount of load on the shock itself and can lead to premature wear and possible blow out(meaning ur car is pretty much being held up by just the spring and will be very very bouncy). a nice shock will help with ride comfort, if ur not serious about racing or dont car for amazing handling, something like the Tokico Blues will do just fine and can be had for a good price. my suggestion, go with the Tokico Blues, if u have some extra money, maybe Tokico Illuminas or KYB AGX shocks, and stay away from those "ebay" spring/sleeves. for about $100 more, u can get Omni Power Sleeve coilovers which is better than the no-names and for about $200 more, u can get the Skunk2 sleeves which seem to have a pretty good reputation.

heres a DIY for the rears, the fronts are pretty much the same deal.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_225963/tm.htm
in there are the Tokico Blue shocks that i mentioned.