Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

how u kno ur shoes/drums need to be replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: how u kno ur shoes/drums need to be replaced

go to tirerack.com, they sell brembo blank rotors, hawk HPS or HP+ pads, Super Blue fluid, goodridge stainless lines

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

just get some sort of ceramic pads and do a tune up on your system. I was putting down roughly double the power/tq in my 98 sedan and just upgraded the lines and pads. Used oem replacementbrembo blanks and it was still plent for the power I was making.
Thanks for the heads up this is exactly what i was thinking of doing as a good overhaul of the sytem.

ORIGINAL: mxs

go to tirerack.com, they sell brembo blank rotors, hawk HPS or HP+ pads, Super Blue fluid, goodridge stainless lines
Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction for locating all of the parts. Now i dont even have to ask what are the good items to buy since you have made me a nice list

I used to hear that honda forums were normally filled with alot of kids that dont know how to play nice on the internet but thus far this forum seems cool.

Thanks for all the help guys, i promise that you will see more of me around

EDIT:

Not bad, i went to tire rack and without the fluid its like 270 for everything shipped.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM

^+1 to marty and mxs.upgrading the front pads makes a good bit of difference, along with front rotors if urs are warped or just worn too much. stainless steel lines are good but not necessary if u dont plan on racing ur car.180k on my oem lines and their still just fine, might upgrade later on but for nowtheirgood enough.for the rear, just use oem shoes/drums, not a big deal upgrading the rear esp if ur not to serious about racing.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i feel you on the lines, i may not replace mine but sometimes it just better to replace it all at once while the car is already in the air.

I will prob do all this work in my Cusins house with the help of his stepdad and i dont want to have to do things twice since its a 2 hour drive there.

Im not big into racing but i do like being able to stop very well and 100 bucks for the lines dont seem to be to bad.

My car only has 73k on it but i know the car was not looked after extremely well, it mostly just sat in a garage.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i hope ya also put some grease in the adjuster... that cap tends to STICK after awhile which makes the automatic adjusters not work at all which then ya loose most your braking power...

also needlenose pliers work great for reinstaling those springs!

civic brakes are actualy realy easy to change compared to larger cars
i had to replace my pads right after i bought my civic and those 2 bolt threads in the drum RULE!!!!!!!! i WISH every car maker made them like that!!!!!!! my old 66impala just takes a BFH and alot of swinging before the drums come off! those bolts holes are the way to go!

but i didnt touch my drums cause they were fine. very smooth and round! i was suprised!
i gotta do my fronts preaty soon but im just to lazy....

Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM

ya i put hi-temp lithium grease on the adjusters and the brake shoe contact areas. for anyone gena do this, just like addiction said, it'll make adjusting alot easier. also greasing the brake shoe contact areas(where the sides of the shoes contact the backing plate) is important so u dont have squeeling.

i tried using needlenose pliers on the brake cable spring when reinstalling the assembly, it keept springing back on me and i just said screw it, that led to all the cuts and sores i have on my hands now[:@]but it worked lol.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i used these good needle nose pliers and some realy small visgrips...

but for that lower spring i think thats the hardest spring to get on.LOL
that up and down adjuster spring is easier to put together first on the pads and then put the pads up...

just afew tips to try and help ya guys out....
my dads always had me doing brakes so im preaty good with them.
also not sure if ya put it or not in the post
BUT DO NOT BREATH THE BRAKE DUST OR USE A AIR GUN TO BLOW THEM OFF!!!!!!!
that stuff is VERY BAD FOR YOU!!!!
always do it outside or in a well ventalated area! but using a small paint brush slowely is best....

Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

bringing this back........... I bought brembo blanks, aem nissin front brake pads, and OEM rear shoes for my 98 civic EX,now my question is ..........

What DRUMS do you guys recommend being that I am a DD. Should i just spend the money and get the OEM ones or are the $20 drums @ advanceautoparts fine?

Please provide links for which ones you guys think are good.............

Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Drums from Advance are fine

Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

Which ones from here would you guys recommend that are on the cheaper side................. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...SearchFor=Drum

Quick Reply: how u kno ur shoes/drums need to be replaced